Fawlty Towers: Boom Mic Errors & Confusing Joke

Hi everyone!
I've been watching the classic sitcom Fawlty Towers. I heard so many times it's a must watch for a sitcom fanatic like myself. I'm really interested in sound recording and sound equipment in old sitcoms so I've picked up a nerdy habit for logging every instance wghen equipment or personnel accidentally get in shot.
You can see the record I've compiled for Fawlty Towers here: https://imgur.com/gallery/RvpOzb0

When I was rewatching last night there's this scene i can't quite get my head around. Is it a weird joke or is my tape all screwed up? Can anyone who has seen Fawlty Towers verify if this is supposed to be in the show?

Of course it wasnt, I suspect you knew that. Somebody sampled it a long time ago with it being on a tube tv.

I don't understand. I'm just watching the tapes I bought from eBay. Do you think someone's tampered with them?

No,
That's exactly how they went out.

Hi Conner,

That's a very interesting and comprehensive looking collection you're pulling together!

As to the video clip, no, your tape is f**ked. Why not get a DVD or Blu-ray release?

Your tape's buggered. Fawlty Towers didn't do that type of comedy, except the silly rat.
I've noticed overheard mics in shot in Love Thy Neighbour and Filthy Rich and Catflap too. I guess this was before the recording boom so they were laxer (is that a word?).
Don't mention the war. Manuel, you're a waste of space... That was my Basil impersonation. Good, isn't it?

There is a radio show at the moment called "What's funny about..."

Yesterday's episode features John Clease discussing Fawlty Towers

Still in bbc sounds app

I've cleaned and inspected the tape and I can't see any degradation or splices. I'm no expert but if the tape itself was tampered with, wouldn't it show visibly when looking at the tape itself?
Are you sure these things aren't an intended part of the program? I was watching again last night and I came across this scene, a similar very weird "surreal" style joke that feels like an intended part of the show. Maybe this is why season 2 was not as popular?

That's someone f**king about with a bit of editing and re-recording, and you won't see any tape splices!!!!. For one, the sound and vision are on different parts of the tape, so it's not like splicing an audio tape as it would synch afterwards.

I don't know why you are getting so agitated about it. No big deal whatsoever!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if you'd done this yourself, in some sort of pathetic wind-up. Well I for one, am not buying it. :P

I remember seeing two booms noticeable in one show, what was it again?
Oh yes I remember The Basil Brush Show

What reason might there be that someone would have re-edited these scenes? Are edits like these common? Do you think I'm entitled to a refund?
Is it definitely certain that my tape is fake? Could it be that the version you're familiar with is edited and this is actually the intended version?

Quote: PopcornReign @ 22nd October 2021, 12:11 AM

What reason might there be that someone would have re-edited these scenes? Are edits like these common? Do you think I'm entitled to a refund?
Is it definitely certain that my tape is fake? Could it be that the version you're familiar with is edited and this is actually the intended version?

This so called "wind -up" has gone on long enough, so give it a rest and toddle off, there's a good boy.

Your coming from Media City, makes it obvious to me you have a mate, say, did this and then says "'Ere, got a great joke. Post this on a comedy forum and wind them up, it'll be a great laugh"; but sorry sunshine, you've been rumbled. Didn't catch me out, one bit, even at the outset.

Laughing out loud Yes, this is clearly a wind-up - complete with his mock-earnest comments which are sort of in the style of the Viz letters page!

They're actually quite good fun - "Basil the Devil" is great.
The idea of hidden frames etc on old videos could be quite rich territory for a programme.
If the poster stopped trying to get a rise out of everybody here, and put them in showcase or something, he might get a bit more love.
As it is everyone just thinks he's a dick.
Shame.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 22nd October 2021, 12:01 AM

I remember seeing two booms noticeable in one show, what was it again?
Oh yes I remember The Basil Brush Show

This is far funnier than the OP's efforts (and took you a lot less time to create, double-win).