Vintage adverts Page 3

Quote: fasty @ 21st October 2021, 1:38 PM

But the decimal price suggests it was after my chocolate days of the 50's and 60's.

No, no, no. I clearly remember eating them in the early/mid 50s...................

give me a mo

Yup..................:)

"1940s: Milk Tray

Launched in England in the 1940s, this bar featured eight Milk Tray chocolates from the brand's famous selection box moulded together on a single chocolate block. These included fudge, caramel, strawberry creme, orange creme, nut, coffee, coconut ice and lime cordial."

The main problem with them was they wouldn't 'break' properly - more often than not you'd get half of one flavour and half another.
Bit of a first world problem, I'll grant you, but annoying nonetheless.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st October 2021, 2:30 PM

No, no, no. I clearly remember eating them in the early/mid 50s...................

give me a mo

Yup..................:)

Maybe we were just too poor :(

Quote: fasty @ 21st October 2021, 5:47 PM

They were definitely a pricey item - more for the grown-ups, as I remember.

Quote: fasty @ 21st October 2021, 5:47 PM

Aww, bless. Only got bags of hundreds and thousands as a sweet ration, then.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd October 2021, 12:29 AM

Aww, bless. Only got bags of hundreds and thousands as a sweet ration, then.

Dozens and Scores actually. That poor :P

Quote: fasty @ 22nd October 2021, 5:15 AM

Dozens and Scores actually. That poor :P

You were lucky...

Cardboard box?!

I had this exact model in the early 60s (my second car) and in this colour too. Great little car, but with the rear engine it had a tendency to bounce sometimes. Some people put a concrete slab in the boot to weigh the front down.

From 1959

From 1898!!

From 1953, and I'm sure this is Alfie Bass? **EDIT 6d (6 pence) is 2½p, by the way. 2½p for 4 razor blades!

From 1898........

Tooth taken out painlessly (Yeah, right) for 1/- (5p in today's money) and a full set of false gnashers for 75p - what a bargain!

Having said that, if a single artificial tooth is two bob, a whole set of gnashers for 15/- is a bargain.

Due to inflation 15 shillings in 1898 would be equivalent to £99 today.

Still lots cheaper than the NHS fee for dentures though.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1898

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/understanding-nhs-dental-charges/

Quote: billwill @ 29th October 2021, 12:23 PM

Due to inflation 15 shillings in 1898 would be equivalent to £99 today.

Still lots cheaper than the NHS fee for dentures though.

Yes but, you need to also take into account, the Victorian ones were probably made out of pitch pine and had teeth painted on in white gloss. :P