Saucy seaside postcards Page 33

I love that their faces are identical anyway!

Perhaps that's the reason - she wants to identify them by their willies.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st October 2021, 2:41 PM

Perhaps that's the reason - she wants to identify them by their willies.

Oh really? That hadn't occurred to me.

"Closet" .... how twee! Why not use BOG instead.

BTW: BOG is an acronym for Bottom Of Garden, in case you never knew!

Cloth cap - outside privvy surely?

Quote: billwill @ 23rd October 2021, 12:43 PM

"Closet" .... how twee! Why not use BOG instead.

BTW: BOG is an acronym for Bottom Of Garden, in case you never knew!

No I didn't, because I think you fitted it into an acronym that doesn't exist - unless you have proof?

Bog referred originally, I think you will find, as a shorter and more convenient ('scuse pun) word for cesspit, which then loosely refers to a boggy area.

Could be Barbara Windsor to Sid James in any carry on :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd October 2021, 3:30 PM

No I didn't, because I think you fitted it into an acronym that doesn't exist - unless you have proof?

Bog referred originally, I think you will find, as a shorter and more convenient ('scuse pun) word for cesspit, which then loosely refers to a boggy area.

You might be right, but not by me, I've seen it mentioned a number of times, but after a quick search I found no definitive derivations.

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/blog/what-are-some-alternative-words-for-toilet-and-where-do-they-come-from https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=BOG

Well, I can honestly say I've never seen it as an acronym. It only needs one person to offer up the "explanation" and it becomes writ and a "fact" after a couple of repeats.

IF it was an acronym, someone, somewhere would list it as such, and they would have to be authoritative, such as a well known dictionary. Wikipedia, for example, would not count.

Just been watching an OGWT where Stuart Maconie said, when he was a young reporter on a music paper, that he made up for a laugh the "fact" that Bob Holness played the saxophone on Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", which then took on a life of its own, and he still has people repeating it back to him as a fact.

I'm pretty sure it would be a "backronym", an acronymic explanation made up after the fact - see also "port out, starboard home" and "fornication under consent of the king".

I glanced at Merriam-Webster and it had 1789 as the first recorded usage for the slang version of bog, and that's earlier than acronyms were even used; they didn't start until the second half of the 19th century, IIRC, and only became part of common speech around WW2.

As ever, it's impossible to know for certain, but I'd imagine the fact a bog is a wet, possibly fruity-smelling place you don't want to step into informed the slang use.

I imagine earth closets were much like a bog after lots of dumpage