DANGER: the email shown below is a clever fraud

This is a fraud. It will steal your bank details and steal from your bank account.

Dear Client,
Our system detects that you have not yet activated our new Hsbc Secure Key security service, allowing you to easily control your account online:

The one-time code received by SMS will disappear at the end of 2021, now use the new free security to control your purchases on the internet.
Activate the service:

Click here

Identify yourself with your bank details.
Enter the one-time code sent to you by SMS on the phone number declared to your bank.

Bill

If you are going to fall for that one, then you deserve to be parted from your money.

Not very clever. I'm not with HSBC.

Yes, well even if you were, the "Hsbc" should sound alarm bells - not unless, of course, you are totally stupid, which it appears from news reports etc. there are a lot of them about that make it worth while for these cretins.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th October 2021, 4:40 PM

If you are going to fall for that one, then you deserve to be parted from your money.

Apart from which, we already have a thread for this sort of thing....................

"Dangerous fake email scams"

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22684/34/

Not that clever.

It's right that posters should warn others of potential scams they have received.
I know there is another thread on the subject but better to be safe than sorry.

I got an official looking text on my phone from my bank
They must have spoofed the banks text number because it came in the same folder as my bank.
It told me a person (named) was requesting money from my account.
Then cleverly said ' If you know this person then you need do nothing
If you don't recognise this transaction - click the link.

Of course you don't know the person, that's the hook.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th October 2021, 6:21 AM

Apart from which, we already have a thread for this sort of thing....................

"Dangerous fake email scams"

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22684/34/

Mmmmn, I know! I created that other thread too!

I felt that this particular scam was more likely to catch people out and needed to be emphasised.

And yes it is clever, looks very real and very likely to catch out HSBC account holders, The scammers work by sending to as many such emails recipients as possible, they don't care if you are not an HSBC account holder, you are not their target. Anyway, they probably have many variants of this, one for each major bank.

Smart-arses who are well versed in the use of computers need to think in terms of what less computer-able people, especially pensioners are likely to do on receiving such an email. Such victims are not "totally stupid" any more than any of you who have made deprecating remarks would be if you were asked to use a sewing machine or even a spinning wheel.

Or for a closer analogy, do you know how to use a typewriter or telex machine?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th October 2021, 9:04 AM

It's right that posters should warn others of potential scams they have received.
I know there is another thread on the subject but better to be safe than sorry.

Quote: billwill @ 19th October 2021, 11:53 AM

Mmmmn, I know! I created that other thread too!

I felt that this particular scam was more likely to catch people out and needed to be emphasised.

Didn't look any more serious than all the others we see from time to time, especially with the lower case mistake.

I had an email to say my TV licence was due for renewal, and already having had one about 9 months ago that was clearly a scam (wrong time of the year), I was still wary and accessed the TV Licensing via the www.gov.uk link, just to be sure.

Why are people so stupid.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th October 2021, 2:36 PM

Didn't look any more serious than all the others we see from time to time, especially with the lower case mistake.

Well you had the advantage of seeing it reduced to plain text, instead of the 'Prettified version', after a title that made it clear that it was a fraud, so you were already predisposed to look for flaws.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th October 2021, 2:36 PM

Why are people so stupid.

Half the population have IQ's of 100 or less. To someone with an IQ of 120 upwards, even those with an IQ of about 100 seem pretty stupid, however it it has become a moral duty for those with the higher IQs to persuade those of lower IQ to avoid putting themselves in danger. Those of higher IQ who don't recognise this obligation are themselves pretty stupid too in their own way.