Ghosts (US)

Just a teaser on YouTube for the American remake of ghosts oh dear it does not look good

I wonder if Americans will get as angry about the show having black people in as BCG forum members did.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th October 2021, 11:37 AM

I wonder if Americans will get as angry about the show having black people in as BCG forum members did.

Well it seems unlikely, as America's national history is a lot more entwined with large populations of black people than Britain's...

If you're watching a sitcom about ghosts realism really isn't a factor. Although if it was, you could still have black people in the British version as black people were here from at least since the existence of the British empire in the 17th and 18th century, and probably were here in smaller numbers since the 11th or 12th century.

Yes, and long before that. But in such small numbers the likelihood of any of them having any kind of prominence, or of being the few who remain as ghosts, and trapped at a specific historic property, is vanishingly small.

Laughing out loud

Yes, but it's a sitcom about ghosts! Realism goes out the window! (But there definitely were black people back then and they could be ghosts).

And if a show wants to reflect diversity now and appeal to a wider demographic by featuring more non-white characters, so what? I mean it's not exactly like there's a shortage of shows to watch if you're gagging to see white men.

Quote: chipolata @ 14th October 2021, 11:45 AM

Yes, but it's a sitcom about ghosts! Realism goes out the window!

Does it though? It's not an entire fantasy world like Star Wars - it's rooted and set in a recognisable reality, and it's the juxtaposition of that against which the ghosts are both an interesting concept and derive chunks of the humour.

Personally I don't have a problem with Kitty, but it is very obvious to me why others would find her jarring, and it would be wildly lazy to say it's all simple racism.

Never watched the prog., but found this vintage cartoon...............

Jackpot round question on Pointless Celebs tonight = name any actor who has appeared in at least one episode of Ghosts.

Turned out every single actor who has ever appeared in Ghosts was Pointless.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st July 2023, 8:27 PM

Series 1 to 3 only.

I saw and noted this too. Pretty damning for a supposed hit. Shows what a bleak environment modern television is.

I'm surprised Simon Farnaby wasn't remembered, as he has to be one of the busiest comedy actors out there and has been superb in everything I've seen him in although I can't bear that Horrible Histories nonsense.

Quote: Dave Dodd @ 13th October 2021, 9:43 AM

Just a teaser on YouTube for the American remake of ghosts oh dear it does not look good

I haven't seen it but the Americans seems to like it, I read it's one of the most popular shows there at the mo.

Jackpot round question on Pointless Celebs tonight = name any actor who has appeared in at least one episode of Ghosts.

Oh dear, we've been posting in the wrong thread. This is about the US version!

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd July 2023, 11:03 AM

Oh dear, we've been posting in the wrong thread. This is about the US version!

I wondered as it's under Foreign Comedy. Maybe for clarification it should be titled Ghosts (US).

Not really sure what this proves. For example Modern Family ran for eleven odd seasons, which I watched and mostly enjoyed, but I'd be hard pressed to name any of the cast.