I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,326

I think if there was ever a split in the Labour Party - it would make the resulting two parties completely unelectable

Final nail in coffin

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th October 2021, 11:47 AM

I think if there was ever a split in the Labour Party - it would make the resulting two parties completely unelectable

Final nail in coffin

I think there's a danger in confusing the membership with the electorate.
In other words, I think the percentage of labour voters who would stick with a 'cleansed' Labour Party is higher than the percentage of members who would storm off in a Lefty huff.
Plus all those who would return who were horrified by Corbyn.
However - a "Coalition of the non-Tory" is what we really need.
Which is why proportional representation should be Labour policy.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th October 2021, 12:09 PM

...Which is why proportional representation should be Labour policy.

Agreed, but that's too European to happen anytime soon.

Now Boris has proven UK politics is no longer all about traditional left or right wouldn't cutting out the cancerous "hard left" be the fastest way to save Labour ? Encourage them to break away.

Quote: Firkin @ 10th October 2021, 1:17 PM

Agreed, but that's too European to happen anytime soon.

Now Boris has proven UK politics is no longer all about traditional left or right wouldn't cutting out the cancerous "hard left" be the fastest way to save Labour ? Encourage them to break away.

Labour are the only opposition party that don't support PR - they need to change that.
I agree - hard left need to go.
Oddly enough - if there was PR, any far-left breakaway would be more likely to get a voice in govt.

40 out 43 European countries use proportional representation, including the countries that suffered under Hitler and Mussolini . Maybe the UK needs to feel the pain of our own right wing mistakes before introducing PR ?

I think that these Insulate Britain demonstrators should all be tagged and then banned from travelling on Motorways for life. If anyone drives them on a Motorway then they should be charged as well.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th October 2021, 7:39 PM

I think that these Insulate Britain demonstrators should all be tagged and then banned from travelling on Motorways for life. If anyone drives them on a Motorway then they should be charged as well.

I'd gladly transport 'em myself. For free. But I can't get through for some reason......

Now that Ms "Liz" Truss appears to be running our country, does anyone share my concern that she is still refusing to be called by her second name Mary? All past women Conservative leaders have had one name beginning with a T and one name beginning with an M. I see no reason whatsoever for her trying to be different.

So no one is interested in Mary Truss then. Fair enough - but you won't now hear about the blaxploitation film she and I were the stars in.

So it's official- this incompetent government's negligence led to people dying in their thousands

"The UK's failure to do more to stop Covid spreading early in the pandemic was one of the country's worst public health failures, a report by MPs says.
The government approach - backed by its scientists - was to try to manage the situation and in effect achieve herd immunity by infection, it said.
This led to a delay in introducing the first lockdown, costing thousands of lives."

Of course they won't apologise - they'll just blame the scientists or anything or anyone else but themselves

Hindsight is wonderful for blaming people.

When Covid-19 happened there was no way of knowing what was the best approach.

Some worked, some didn't.

Quote: billwill @ 12th October 2021, 8:10 PM

Hindsight is wonderful for blaming people.

When Covid-19 happened there was no way of knowing what was the best approach.

I'll buy that for the first lockdown.
2nd time around they HAD the benefit of hindsight AND unequivocal scientific advice.
They ignored it and people died who didn't have to.
And that's the official conclusion of a CROSS-PARTY investigation.

Given that we were all in uncharted waters at the time, nobody, if they were in charge could have made all the "right" decisions at the time. Blair, Brown, Cameron, and May would no doubt have had a different approach to the crisis. The death toll may have been higher/lower, but we can only speculate.

This post is off topic.

^ off topic