Seinfeld Page 20

Quote: DaButt @ 26th July 2015, 2:04 PM BST

Dolores.

Yes, Dolores.

A name that rhymes with no female body part that is pronounced correctly.

In fairness to the scriptwriters, I did some research on this very subject with a bona fide American girl (a professor of English from Iowa) who told me that some people sometimes do pronounce the afore-un-mentioned body part to rhyme with Dolores.

I think perhaps the problem lies in the fact that the name of the body part is a word that isn't used very often in America, except by a handful of feminists, and men who use it with the prefix 'wotdafuxa'.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th July 2015, 5:19 PM BST

Yes, Dolores.

A name that rhymes with no female body part that is pronounced correctly.

In fairness to the scriptwriters, I did some research on this very subject with a bona fide American girl (a professor of English from Iowa) who told me that some people sometimes do pronounce the afore-un-mentioned body part to rhyme with Dolores.

I think perhaps the problem lies in the fact that the name of the body part is a word that isn't used very often in America, except by a handful of feminists, and men who use it with the prefix 'wotdafuxa'.

Yes. That's why I couldn't remember. I wasn't allowing for the american prononciation. It's like how they pronounce 'strip club' as 'titty bar'.

This is a must see! It is so funny!

I just commented on Seinfeld in the Curb thread, but it seems more fitting putting it in here.

I must admit I have never seen the big deal about Seinfeld. It's an above average ensemble comedy, but I never thought it deserved its "groundbreaking" U.S. reputation.

I think the thing that tarnished it for me was, way back in the dark ages, BBC2 used to show a weekly comedy double bill at around 11pm of Seinfeld followed by Larry Sanders. That's the sitcom equivalent of watching a gig where Hank Marvin is playing guitar onstage alongside Jimi Hendrix. Seinfeld was pleasant enough on it's own, but Larry Sanders would just blow it off the screen every week, so in my personal experience Seinfeld suffered by comparison. I bought and re-watched the complete series, but it still felt like a 7.5/10 comedy at best.

Curb on the other hand is hilarious! It's strange, I cannot align the writer of curb with the writer of Seinfeld (maybe because he can take more risks on HBO?).

Quote: Lazarus Goldfinger @ 15th September 2015, 11:26 PM BST

I just commented on Seinfeld in the Curb thread, but it seems more fitting putting it in here.

I must admit I have never seen the big deal about Seinfeld. It's an above average ensemble comedy, but I never thought it deserved its "groundbreaking" U.S. reputation.

I think the thing that tarnished it for me was, way back in the dark ages, BBC2 used to show a weekly comedy double bill at around 11pm of Seinfeld followed by Larry Sanders. That's the sitcom equivalent of watching a gig where Hank Marvin is playing guitar onstage alongside Jimi Hendrix. Seinfeld was pleasant enough on it's own, but Larry Sanders would just blow it off the screen every week, so in my personal experience Seinfeld suffered by comparison. I bought and re-watched the complete series, but it still felt like a 7.5/10 comedy at best.

Curb on the other hand is hilarious! It's strange, I cannot align the writer of curb with the writer of Seinfeld (maybe because he can take more risks on HBO?).

I'm tempted to post the same response I put in the Curb thread, but I won't.

Quote: Lazarus Goldfinger @ 15th September 2015, 11:26 PM BST

I bought and re-watched the complete series, but it still felt like a 7.5/10 comedy at best.

That's rather like describing Fred Astaire as a 7.5/10 dancer at best, or Muhammad Ali as a 7.5/10 boxer at best.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th September 2015, 11:54 PM BST

I'm tempted to post the same response I put in the Curb thread, but I won't.

:D

Basically he said he much prefers Seinfeld to Larry Sanders, which is fair enough, I just don't see the Seinfeld thing myself, but each to their own, I'm no comedy Fascist!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th September 2015, 8:40 AM BST

That's rather like describing Fred Astaire as a 7.5/10 dancer at best, or Muhammad Ali as a 7.5/10 boxer at best.

Nah, to continue your analogy, I'd say Seinfeld is more Bruce Forsythe or Frank Bruno. Pleasant enough and skilled in their field, but nothing amazing.

Anyway the reason I posted on here again is to stick this link up: http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/

I don't find Jerry Seinfeld's comedy that funny, but I DO love hearing him talk about comedy, you can tell he's a real student/lover of the subject. So if you like JS, these little chats with other comics are pretty enjoyable.

Just noticed Netflix now have a Jerry Seinfeld special including nine series of the sitcom, for the nostalgic.

And I did take them up on the offer
Still sublime, still hilarious
What a great show this was