Things I don't understand... Page 5

Re Paulted, Yes. I'm a leftie, but honestly, I think we're more bigotted than right-wingers. At least they'll argue a point; the minute you disagree with a leftie, they'll cut you off for life, even unfriend you on bacefook (a tad childish). It's the same mentality that says women who demolish all men are vital, self-empowered ideals who set an essential example for future generations, while any guy who dares criticise any female, no matter how intelligently, is technically speaking, a c**t. It's George Orwell: get rid of one dictatorship and the next one's even worse.

The protests when Nick Griffin appeared on Question Time in 2009 are a case in point. I found his views and party reprehensible, but he was representing a legitimate political party at the time and regardless of his views, he is entitled to his opinions. When he eventually appeared on the show HE was the focus of the show and attacked by panellists and audience alike about race/immigration. I would have kept race out of the programme altogether and brought up schools, hospitals,transport, finance, and the environment. Then we would have seen the poverty of his intellect laid bare.

The best example for me was Ben Elton collaborating with Andrew Lloyd Webber. Elton was massacred for selling out, Webber praised for being open-minded.

Quote: paulted @ 11th September 2021, 2:50 PM

The protests when Nick Griffin appeared on Question Time in 2009 are a case in point. I found his views and party reprehensible, but he was representing a legitimate political party at the time and regardless of his views, he is entitled to his opinions. When he eventually appeared on the show HE was the focus of the show and attacked by panellists and audience alike about race/immigration. I would have kept race out of the programme altogether and brought up schools, hospitals,transport, finance, and the environment. Then we would have seen the poverty of his intellect laid bare.

I remember thinking the backlash was self defeating at the time, it was too vicious, if he is that reprehensible then show him out in proper discussion, although proper discussion hasn't really been around in a long while

I'm not a fan of Griffin by the way ( apart from the mythical bird )

Using asterisks to clean up swear words. What difference does it make? 'Don't worry, they'll think it means funking cultish walker.'

Quote: paulted @ 11th September 2021, 2:50 PM

And the right do exactly the same thing. "Woke" has become a lazy blanket term of abuse for anything the right don't like. It's become a smug buzzword offered up in place of a genuine reasoned criticism. People who use it to abuse the left are usually as close-minded and dogmatic as the people they're criticising.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 12th September 2021, 12:52 AM

The best example for me was Ben Elton collaborating with Andrew Lloyd Webber. Elton was massacred for selling out, Webber praised for being open-minded.

I don't ever remember a time when Andrew Lloyd |Webber was praised by anyone.

Gays love him. And I say that with all due respect. To Andrew Lloyd Webber.

We prefer the Spice Girls.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/steve-coogan-sex-offender-jimmy-savile-bbc-one-drama-1234844604/ Is his penis gonna be a-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard thing to play?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 12th September 2021, 1:27 AM

I remember thinking the backlash was self defeating at the time, it was too vicious.

Remember that media does stoke hatred, so why shouldn't they highlight a backlash which is more or less deserving? How is anyone meant to stop media in any case? It is how we communicate.

A new species of Dinosaur has been discovered?
Um.....

They're called Yes.

I've heard several people say today "I can't believe it's October". Surely the fact that it was 30 September yesterday should have given them some sort of advance warning.

They normally say that about Christmas. This year it'll be more believable, in the absence of food and fuel.

Don't worry, Boris Johnson has tasked Michael Gove with saving Christmas.