The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 726

Well, there's a coincidence - reading through a June 1961 Daily Mirror, and come across this article.

Spastics league...you don't hear that any more.

The days when football matches were hardly ever called off.
I remember as a lad standing in the uncovered ground end while it snowed a blizzard and fans had a snowball fight.
You couldn't see the far end of the pitch.
And sometimes the grass was frozen solid and the ball bounced around like it was in a pinball machine

Arsenal goalkeeper Jack Kelsey in 1954 try to see the players, never mind the ball

Laughing out loud I remember playing in defence in a game on the school ground, which literally turned into a laughable fiasco as it was so foggy you couldn't see anything beyond the penalty area - the opposition and some of your team could well have gone home and you wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the occasional grunt.
And when someone did appear through the murk, you were laughing so much you lost the ability to attack them.

This is the game I remember. FA Cup 3rd round at White Hart Lane in the winter of 1962/63. After having won the cup the previous two seasons, Tottenham (Jimmy Greaves et al) were knocked out 3-0 in atrocious conditions in the 3rd round by Burnley:

I well remember the winter of 1963, and like that football match, things carried on as usual - there was no whingeing, people went to work, kids went to school etc. etc.

We're all a load of woozies these days.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd September 2021, 12:25 AM

I well remember the winter of 1963, and like that football match, things carried on as usual - there was no whingeing, people went to work, kids went to school etc. etc.

We're all a load of woozies these days.

Indeed.

At eight days old, I left hospital on Boxing Day 1962 by bus. YES - Greater London as it became in '65 though not then : leafy and in a valley : we had no central heating or phone - we were like gipsy people : still are - I sell heather - we were snowed in for four months and me mother never even saw a medical worker as they couldn't reach us. Dylan played in London for the first time on the day I was born and I wanted to get there but I wasn't allowed. All I had was chipping sodding icicles off my cot until Spring and no means of contacting the Samaritans. God knows how I turned out sane. It's a bleeding miracle.

Now that I think of it, I have a dark white complexion, hate washing my armpits, love engaging in unnecessary brutal bare knuckle boxing, am amazingly attractive and have sixteen children, all of whom were thrillingly in hospital at an early age for some very slight blood spurting from key arteries. I don't think it was the without rules wrestling. Their tattoos just went a bit wrong, For reasons of political correctness, I have to say that this has nothing to do with my previous post whatsoever but I have finally come to realise.

Those are great Herc at al
But why were you reading a Daily Mirror from June 1961
maybe you need to have a clear out

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 26th September 2021, 2:03 AM

Those are great Herc at al
But why were you reading a Daily Mirror from June 1961
maybe you need to have a clear out

Laughing out loud And that's exactly what I am doing - been collecting newspapers and magazines for the last 50 + years and now selling them all off as my children have no interest, having told me they will all go in the skip when I'm gone.

Love browsing the 1950s and 1960s especially, as that was my baby boomer period and the TV listings/adverts etc. I find fascinating.

Have you got the football results though?

Quote: Chappers @ 26th September 2021, 4:29 PM

Have you got the football results though?

Well the sports pages are all there, but why because surely you can find all that out online

Well I know that Sutton United beat Carlisle 4-0 yesterday and are climbing the fourth division table.

Yes, it is looking a strong possibility they will be playing Ipswich, one way or another.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th September 2021, 5:49 PM

Well I know that Sutton United beat Carlisle 4-0 yesterday and are climbing the fourth division table.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th September 2021, 12:05 AM

Yes, it is looking a strong possibility they will be playing Ipswich, one way or another.

At which time all of Suffolk will no doubt be asking "Sutton who?"