Newsjack Series 24 - Feb/Mar 2021 Page 11

Thank f**k that's over.

Quote: wwwwwh @ 21st March 2021, 9:51 AM

The one above was read out on the recording. Maybe if you get the good email they don't bother to tell you about the "nearly".

Oh really. Thanks for that wwwwwh! I applied for tickets and failed..

Hi, has anyone who got on this series been sent the contributor payment form yet?
I gave them my details last series when I got a one-liner on so not sure if I have to email them again for this series or if you only need to do it once so they have you in their system.

Thanks.

Newsjack is no more!

From their tweets:

"And now it's time for some breaking news! After 24 series spanning 12 years Newsjack has left the building. A NEW open door show for new writing and submissions launches on 4 Extra in 2022 - stay tuned."

"We thank all of our wonderful hosts, brilliant casts, producers and most importantly the hundreds of fantastic writers who cut their teeth writing for the show. You made Newsjack what it was, and we look forward to an exciting new chapter."

https://twitter.com/NewsjackBBC/status/1438850243584483334?s=20

I was thinking the new series was starting a bit later than usual. And that's why.

So, it's been fun. See you for the new show, maybe!

I think it had run it's course. Originally it set out to find new writers so cast membership was more stable. Miles and Justin were established so played their part in the show rather than the host being 'new talent' (7 minutes of their own monologues etc.). Then the cast became a revolving door and I think the original idea of nurturing new writers was extremely watered down. It was also very left-wing bias - but no surprise there then.

I of course, may be talking out of my arse.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd March 2021, 7:41 AM

Thank f**k that's over.

Well said !

Quote: Will Cam @ 17th September 2021, 2:27 PM

I think it had run it's course. Originally it set out to find new writers so cast membership was more stable. Miles and Justin were established so played their part in the show rather than the host being 'new talent' (7 minutes of their own monologues etc.). Then the cast became a revolving door and I think the original idea of nurturing new writers was extremely watered down. It was also very left-wing bias - but no surprise there then.

Nothing left wing about it. It was milquetoast wibbly centrist liberalism. It was the Nick Clegg of radio comedy.

But I still loved it.

Oh dear.

Quote: Dantrobus @ 17th September 2021, 2:55 PM

Nothing left wing about it. It was milquetoast wibbly centrist liberalism. It was the Nick Clegg of radio comedy.

But I still loved it.

Same! I still enjoyed it. And yeah definitely more centrist than anything, wish they included stuff that went a bit harder for either side. But it still got laughs from me either way.

I still submitted a few times each series. I never made it to the broadcast stage but I did get stuff recorded a bunch of times (and when enquiring, it seems it was mainly puns/plays on words of mine that got recorded then cut - One liners, I don't think I had a sketch make it to recording).

Wonder what the Newsjack team will be doing next? Topical but not news-style?

The best I ever got was a one-liner which was recorded but cut at the last minute. 'I'm so excited about the new series of Dr Who, I'm having a party last week.'

I'll miss it

It's a bit of a shame
Well played NewsJack, It was a great opportunity for aspiring writers, and was often very funny
And I especially enjoyed it when Justin was the host and I used to get stuff on
And going to see it being recorded a few times was great fun as well.
Rest in peace and look forward to whatever they replace it with.

Quote: Will Cam @ 17th September 2021, 2:27 PM

Nope you are not pontificating from your anus. It'd been going on and on and it was probably time to f**k off and do something different. And yeah, edgy means woke these days. Hard to imagine them accepting material from Andrew Dice Clay.
My favourite shitcom was Last of the Summer Whine, but I felt it had so much more mileage in it. Why quit when you're ahead? More, please.

On the bright side, the field is now wide open for GB News to launch their own topical comedy show for all that amazing edgy material that Newsjack refused to air.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th September 2021, 1:54 PM

edgy means woke these days. Hard to imagine them accepting material from Andrew Dice Clay.

I find it hard to imagine BBC Radio accepting material from Andrew Dice Clay at any point, I hardly think that's a barometer of wussy wokeness, or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, I'd like to hope that, just maybe, the thing that replaces Newsjack won't be another topical satire show.