Status report Page 6,109

Quote: chipolata @ 15th September 2021, 6:49 AM

Hope she gets well soon, Herc.

Thank you.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th September 2021, 8:59 AM

I had it when I was 5. Was in hospital 2 weeks. Still have the scar (physical, not mental). They probably do it overnight now. And keyhole. The worst part was not being able to watch Noddy on tv because the "bigger boys" wanted something else on. And not being able to cope with cracking the shell of my early morning soft boiled egg. A mouthful of egg shell every morning probably has left mental scars.

But no doubt patient care has improved since then. I expect the parents are allowed in whenever they want. Hope she's up and about soon.

So, you've had this experience at that young age - the other thing that never occurred to me, is they had to get a drip into her because she couldn't hold anything down (even water), and they had trouble finding a vein big enough. You just don't think of these things when you see children in hospital and what the staff have to contend with.
Anyway, her Mother is staying with her and says how brave she is being, and yes, she is having keyhole surgery this morning.

Thank you Billy.

Oh dear. Had my daughter in tears on the phone. They started the keyhole surgery and realised it wasn't her appendix, but two small magnetised ball bearings off what is called (!) a "Friendship Bracelet" she had been given by another girl. They are stuck in her bowel and so at the moment she is undergoing more serious cut her open surgery to remove them. I don't think for one moment she did it on purpose, but it seems it's one of these things you can change by pulling it apart and she's accidentally swallowed two bits of it. Hopefully she'll come out of this with a lesson learnt.

Dear oh dear. Kids, they can break your heart.

Geez, hope she's ok.
She will be.

Ditto,

I was out for a walk in the park across from me early yesterday evening
It was a little foggy ( which is why I fancied a walk )
I sat on a bench and then suddenly I see someone coming across the grass toward me and with lasers shining, then I saw another to the left and realised they were armed police officers, although in case they were Lottery funded muggers I turned and started to walk away. at which point it was don't move, put your hands on your head turn to the fence ( i turned briefly to see all the guns pointing at me

I was handcuffed and interrogated as apparently I matched the description of someone who was suspected of having a Machete nearby

I've had more relaxing walks to be honest

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 15th September 2021, 6:02 PM

Geez, hope she's ok.
She will be.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th September 2021, 6:10 PM

Ditto,

Thank you both. Haven't heard anything yet. My daughter must be completely wasted.

Yes sorry Herc hope she's ok
I should have put my story on another thread, I didn't look at the previous posts

Thank you Steve

I see, like me, you are still posting late into the night ;) - so what's the situation with your wife now?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th September 2021, 6:16 AM

Our darling little 6-year-old grand-daughter, who was a little angel when she came to see us only last weekend, has been rushed to hospital with appendicitis. Teary

I wouldn't have thought it was a condition that affected young children.

I had it at age 12 & had it taken out.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th September 2021, 3:27 PM

Oh dear. Had my daughter in tears on the phone. They started the keyhole surgery and realised it wasn't her appendix, but two small magnetised ball bearings off what is called (!) a "Friendship Bracelet" she had been given by another girl. They are stuck in her bowel and so at the moment she is undergoing more serious cut her open surgery to remove them. I don't think for one moment she did it on purpose, but it seems it's one of these things you can change by pulling it apart and she's accidentally swallowed two bits of it. Hopefully she'll come out of this with a lesson learnt.

My grand-daughter has had her op., and it appears to have been successful, as she's had a burp and a fart, which the surgeon says it means her bowl is working again. :D But now she is anxious to get home, and apparently her 2-year-old brother keeps going into her bedroom because he cannot understand why she is not there.

Anyway, I raise this again as a warning to anyone who has young children in their family or in the vicinity.

Apparently, some of these teenage Friendship Bracelets, which can consist of small magnetic balls are being used by youngsters to make it look like they have a stud in their cheek or tongue, and so they get swallowed accidentally. Now, one on its own would probably pass right through, but when there are multiples (my grand-daughter had 8 inside her!!) they tend to try and meet by natural magnetic attraction and damage the bowel lining. Some children have had to have part of their bowel removed because it is too damaged, and some children have died.

I said, surely, they are plastic coated, but apparently, they are sprayed with a metallic paint so the magnetism is as strong as ever.

Like the small button batteries that have caused deaths in young children - BEWARE!!

It can be even more dangerous than your grand-daughters case:

See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-58565720

I expect that boy will now have a colonoscopy bag for the rest of his life.

Sorry to hear about the obvious worries Herc. Pleased to hear she is pulling through. Children go through many things. As a kid, I bit a thermometer in two and they were worried I had mercury poisoning. The medical advice I got was to eat cotton wool sandwiches for a week which was horrible but it worked.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th September 2021, 6:16 AM

Our darling little 6-year-old grand-daughter, who was a little angel when she came to see us only last weekend, has been rushed to hospital with appendicitis. Teary

I wouldn't have thought it was a condition that affected young children.

My son had it too when he was a similar age. 38 years old now and 6'5" tall.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th September 2021, 3:27 PM

Only just saw this. Hope she's OK.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th September 2021, 7:01 PM

Sorry to hear about the obvious worries Herc. Pleased to hear she is pulling through. Children go through many things. As a kid, I bit a thermometer in two and they were worried I had mercury poisoning. The medical advice I got was to eat cotton wool sandwiches for a week which was horrible but it worked.

Thanks Horse, and weird, but it worked :)

Quote: Chappers @ 18th September 2021, 9:29 PM

Only just saw this. Hope she's OK.

Thank you Chappers

Quote: billwill @ 18th September 2021, 2:12 PM

It can be even more dangerous than your grand-daughters case:

See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-58565720

I expect that boy will now have a colonoscopy bag for the rest of his life.

Thanks for that Bill, I've emailed to my daughter