The Cleaner - Series 1 Page 2

Ok I'm half sold
And will give it a try

Yes, as per my golden rule, I always give a new series a second look if I am doubtful. Big fan of Greg's

Nobody has pointed out yet that The Cleaner is based on a long-running German series called Der Tatortreiniger. As luck would have it, I only just finished watching it (thank you, torrents) and can safely say it's one of the funniest series I've ever seen. Last night I watched episode two of The Cleaner and found it was an almost exact copy of one of the best episodes of DT, right down to the killer line about having 'cleaner block'. And yet in the Comedy Guide interview with Greg Davies, not a mention is made of the series' German origins. Naughty.

It's credited at the end - Based on Der Tatortreiniger Created by Mizzi Meyer

Quote: fasty @ 18th September 2021, 2:42 PM

It's credited at the end - Based on Der Tatortreiniger Created by Mizzi Meyer

And at the top of this thread.

Yes, but the episode in question clearly states 'Written by Greg Davies'. That's a long way from 'based on', especially when whole lines have been lifted.

It's usually about percentage of 'new' material.
Anyway - they would have had to come to a, I should imagine, fairly generous agreement with Mizzi Meyer, the original writer.

Quote: radioshoes @ 19th September 2021, 12:51 PM

Yes, but the episode in question clearly states 'Written by Greg Davies'. That's a long way from 'based on', especially when whole lines have been lifted.

He probably wrote it in English.

Quote: Jeff Arthur @ 14th September 2021, 7:50 PM

During episode 2 (the David Mitchell ep) there is a french rock/pop song playing when Greg is around the book shelf. does anyone know the name of the song or the artists? I really liked it and wnat to track it down. Thanks in advance

The subtitles say it is this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9GMnZM_f4

Loved tonight's episode (except for the "cool" spliff scene)

Not me - said I'd give it two episodes, but it hasn't impressed me at all. Thought it was supposed to be a comedy, but has left me cold.

The show's a mess. The subject and the script are fairly dark at times but it's scored like it's a kids comedy. During the pilot, the lead is in a life/death situation but doesn't act like he's in one. I don't know why so often, creators of shows are so blind to see how unrealistic their characters are acting. They don't understand that if the main character acts like he's not in grave danger... then I'm not going to care that he is. And if don't care, then there's no stakes. And when there's no stakes, the humour becomes meaningless.

I was reminded a little of the OFAH episode when Del Boy realises he's trapped in the cottage with an escaped mental patient. And how when he realises, Del is absolutely terrified yet having to act like he's buddies with the patient as not to agitate him. That seems real to me. If Del had acted sarcy with the bloke and then spoke about how he fancied going down the Nag's Head when the bloke had the axe to his throat... it wouldn't be funny at all. It'd be weird and unrelatable.

I'd understand why the guy's used to a crime scene so he's not screamish around blood (although the gag is way over done here, would have worked a lot better if it was more subtle) but I'm not buying that this guy acts that way when a murderer is threatening to kill him.

Everyone involved... do better.