Status report Page 6,108

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2021, 6:03 AM

The £1000 I stuck in Crypto currency on the advice of my son (!) back in Dec. 2018 and alarming went down to £107 in March 2020, is now back up to over £1500 (at this very moment) Errr , so the greed in me wants to hold out for £2000 before I cash in with a promise to myself of sticking with Premium Bonds, which regularly pay me a half decent dividend with the (slim - OK, very slim) possible reward of £1,000,000.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in Premium Bonds? I keep meaning to get some, but wonder what a good amount is to buy to get regular rewards.

£30,000, which was reckoned to be the amount you need to have to get one prize a month. In my experience, this is about right, as I go some months with nowt, then win 2 or 3 £25 wins the next month. AND of course Angelic there's always the chance of a biggy or even the mega payout. fat chance

I recently worked out that it was a better investment than a cash ISA, of which I have a few.

**EDIT lofthouse asked me the same awhile back, and said recently his experience was about the same.

I'm sure there used to be a DIY thread..................Anyway...............

The price of progress.

So, despite reading online that ceramic tap valves are for life (what bollocks), I found myself with a dripping tap.
Knowing that is not going to be a simple rubber washer job, I set off to the nearest plumber supplies, to find that there are not only different lengths, but also different splines that the shroud fits.

And to add insult to injury, they are only available in pairs, but I only wanted the hot tap one - anyone want to buy a cold tap valve?

So, £15.78 against 30p for a rubber washer on the "old" style taps. It's a f**king joke.

That's just plumb crazy.

I'm listening to the sea through a 1920s conch shell.

Does anyone know how I can talk to the exact bit of sea I am hearing?

Not to get too technical but you open your mouth and flap your tongue about a bit.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th September 2021, 3:39 AM

Not to get too technical but you open your mouth and flap your tongue about a bit.

Thanks John.

Also, my drone has just failed its MOT.

I was going to use it to send a small package to Guadeloupe.

Luckily I do have a carrier pigeon that was born in 1957.

Can you or anyone else advise me please how it works?

I have just invented an 1863 version of Hotmail.

Does anyone know if I will be able to send an e-mail to Australia?

(double back hand slice and overhead smash - 30 love)

No, we are not receiving emails from the UK at the moment,you are in quarantine.

re:your pigeon.Talk to it very nicely,take it out for a meal.At that age it probably thinks you are sending it on a suicide mission.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th September 2021, 6:58 PM

No, we are not receiving emails from the UK at the moment,you are in quarantine.

re:your pigeon.Talk to it very nicely,take it out for a meal.At that age it probably thinks you are sending it on a suicide mission.

Can I just clarify for readers here I am not ISIS. :D

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th September 2021, 1:15 AM

I'm listening to the sea through a 1920s conch shell.

Does anyone know how I can talk to the exact bit of sea I am hearing?

You can't; the battery life does not extend to 101 years.

Quote: billwill @ 14th September 2021, 10:54 PM

You can't; the battery life does not extend to 101 years.

Sod it.

It's like my parents then,

Our darling little 6-year-old grand-daughter, who was a little angel when she came to see us only last weekend, has been rushed to hospital with appendicitis. Teary

I wouldn't have thought it was a condition that affected young children.

Hope she gets well soon, Herc.

I had it when I was 5. Was in hospital 2 weeks. Still have the scar (physical, not mental). They probably do it overnight now. And keyhole. The worst part was not being able to watch Noddy on tv because the "bigger boys" wanted something else on. And not being able to cope with cracking the shell of my early morning soft boiled egg. A mouthful of egg shell every morning probably has left mental scars.

But no doubt patient care has improved since then. I expect the parents are allowed in whenever they want. Hope she's up and about soon.