The Cleaner - Series 1

Greg Davies' new sitcom. I enjoyed it, lots of laughs. Slightly uneven in the dramatic parts but overall I look forward to seeing where he takes it, especially as it seems to be an anthology show.

I made it as far as the toilet scene. Then the off button performed its raison d'etre with the greatest urgency.

Looked more like a drama to me :|

Really enjoyed it, which I wasn't expecting as it looked awful from the trailer; watched the second episode on iPlayer too. Maybe it does lean into the drama side of it too much, but it does have some laugh-out-loud moments and the classic sitcom trope of the main character encountering characters and situations that stymie and impede him. Probably on too early IMO, and seems more like the post-news, 10:35pm type of comedy that used to be on BBC1 before the Three brand took over late-night; I think its slightly surreal nature - and the fact it's non-standard for a sitcom with it being an anthology and the only continuity between episodes the main character, will be off-putting for some. A shame it probably won't do much ratings-wise, given the Friday 9:30pm timeslot has been the death knell for new comedy for a few years now (with the added detriment for its linear performance with the iPlayer boxsetting).

I also did wonder how the murderess managed to get past a police ring fence and into the house so easily. Or are we meant to suspend our belief for the sake of plot.

Helena Bonham Carter, though - what a coup for Greg, and a lady that never seems to age. Lovey

Interesting concept because you hear about crime scenes but then you never think that someone has to clean it up.

Made all the more watchable with the lovely HBC.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th September 2021, 8:50 AM

Interesting concept because you hear about crime scenes but then you never think that someone has to clean it up.

I've seen at least two documentaries on the subject.

Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction

Excellent as you'd expect from the big fella .

I met him once. He was standing outside a media company building smoking a cigarette.
"What's the weather like up there, Greg?" I quipped.
"F**k off." he replied.

Quote: beaky @ 11th September 2021, 12:19 PM

I met him once. He was standing outside a media company building smoking a cigarette.
"What's the weather like up there, Greg?" I quipped.
"F**k off." he replied.

:D You asked for that. I remember Osman saying something similar, and how tiresome it gets.

I laughed more at the second episode, great part for David Mitchell.

Mitchell does a good Deranged

During episode 2 (the David Mitchell ep) there is a french rock/pop song playing when Greg is around the book shelf. does anyone know the name of the song or the artists? I really liked it and wnat to track it down. Thanks in advance

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 10th September 2021, 10:01 PM

Greg Davies' new sitcom. I enjoyed it, lots of laughs. Slightly uneven in the dramatic parts

Yeah, it felt an odd balance between comedy and more serious elements to me. But the funny was very funny and I laughed out loud a lot. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.