Ted Lasso

Just finished series 1. Loved it.

Jason Sudekis is great
Love him in SNL and his appearance in Sitcom Last man on Earth

AM up to date with this series and it's nice having a new episode to watch each week just the good old days of telly

And Ted Lasso is who? What station?

Quote: Chappers @ 7th September 2021, 9:21 PM

And Ted Lasso is who? What station?

It's a British-set series about football on Apple TV+.

Apple TV+ are offering a week's free access. You might only get one episode of Ted Lasso but it would be worth it. I cannot express how much I enjoyed this series.

Quote: Aaron @ 8th September 2021, 12:08 PM

Apple TV+.

No, me neither!

So many subscription channels these days.
At least you have the choice whether to subscribe or not - unlike the BBC.

Try not paying that. I didn't pay mine for a month because their emails went into the spam folder.
No letter through the door, just emails.
I finally read them. The first one telling my license was due for renewal.
The second one telling me again.
The third one had a sarky title 'did you forget something?'
They progressed right up to threats of court and a £1000 fine.
Then finally, and what made me aware it was due was an actual letter telling me that I would be visited shortly by inspectors and if I didn't let them in they would get a court warrant to enter my premises.
If they find a TV or a computer or a tablet or anything able to receive or stream broadcasts from any station, I would be summonsed to court.
Surely this is against the law to assume emails have been read and move straight to court proceedings.

I've heard very good things about it, although curiously the football fans I know are less keen because they don't see it as a realistic depiction of football.

The whole ground chanting "Wanker, wanker, wanker..." at new (American) manager Ted, was pretty realistic in my opinion.

I've watched the first 3 episodes. Truly hooked.
Laugh out loud moments and great story arc.
Can't wait to watch the next one.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th September 2021, 3:14 PM

I've watched the first 3 episodes. Truly hooked.
Laugh out loud moments and great story arc.
Can't wait to watch the next one.

I'm glad you liked it - That's you, me and Mr Sunshine at least. I think it is rare to watch something and feel you are in such safe hands. If they set somthing up you know you will get a satisfying payoff. I get so pissed off with comedies and dramas where somthing happens or is mentioned, then is never reffered to again!

Nooooot for me. It's insanely predictable and sickly. It has as much subtlety as a tween drama. I'm stunned how this show has become so popular and stunned at how Bret Goldstein won an emmy for his role. His acting is genuinely some of the worst hard man acting i've ever seen.

Must do better.

I absolutely get what you mean
I was surprised myself, It must be the warmth and self improvement that has made it so popular because it's not the realistic football depiction and it's not laugh out loud funny, but it works, and works well

It's really not too far off the Renford Rejects. Which if you think sounds like an exaggeration, check out who Danny Rojas is in the show. Just absolute one note. Also, I've just watched an episode which hinged on - Ted needed to win a game of darts against the big, bad former owner after they made a bet. And... of course he defies the odds, scoring a bullseye in his last shot whilst simultaneously conducting a speech. Now if it was a good comedy, it would recognise they've walked into an absolute cliche of a situation here, let's turn it on his head and have him lose. But no, it doesn't seem to have much innovation to it.

Sorry it's not for you Pineapplesky, all i can say is, i love it. It is up there with the best TV i have seen. I can't wait for the next series. I am even happy to forgive the clumsy shoe horning in of two extra episodes at the request of the American channel showing it. The worst episode of the series 'Coach Bob' and one of the best episodes 'Christmas'.
The talking to one person whilst addressing another was a bit of a theme, and one they self referenced a couple of times. So the game of darts was for me many layered. What he was saying to the bully, what he was saying to the owner and what he was showing to us. And of course it introduced his father, who we learned more about later.
Danny Rojas was one of my favorite characters from the moment he emerged from the tunnel repeatedly joyfully shouting his name. He was just thrilled to be off the treatment table and back on the training pitch. And the coaches had forgotten they had him. I know i have added 'Football is life' to my list of mantras.

It's a good thing we don't all like the same things. As Ted might say, "life's as much about finding out what you don't like as finding about what you do."