The funniest new sitcom in the 1990s was...

Father Ted.

I'm Alan Partridge.

Rab C Nesbitt for me.

As far as I can recall Father Ted was by far the funniest sitcom of the nineties. And since.

I gotta agree with Horseradish and Billy Bunter here and go with Father Ted.

I was born in '84, so 90s was pretty much my era for "sitcoms I grew up with" so there's plenty that spring to mind that I loved. Bottom, Spaced, 2Point4 Children, Ab Fab, One Foot in the Grave, Desmond's, Men Behaving Badly.

But yeah, as far as I remember, in terms of funniest, Father Ted springs to mind as giving my proper belly laughs. Maybe Bottom too as due to my age the slapstick violence appealed even more to me as funny, but for properly genuinely funny I'd say Father Ted, both at the time (approaching and entering my teens) and looking back.

I was also really thinking of Red Dwarf too, which mainly aired in the 90s, but as it started in the 80s, felt it wouldn't count.

Curveball nominee: Dad.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th September 2021, 11:00 AM

As far as I can recall Father Ted was by far the funniest sitcom of the nineties. And since.

It probably had more funny moments than most even back then, but I thought it also had too many patchy, filler type moments, and trendy 'thought it was funnier than it was' moments. Some of the Dougal centred stuff still makes me cringe. Had big hits but many little misses IMOO.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th September 2021, 4:40 PM

Yes that one

Roll eyes emoji, followed by a smiley

Fawlty Towers.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th September 2021, 4:40 PM

Could you bump up a thread on Dad please.

I have watched an episode of it now.

Not bad - but I have a few comments and would like to read first what other people have said..

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th September 2021, 11:00 AM

I apologise to 2point4 children for the above post. I hadn't realised that was the nineties. Thought it was earlier. All decades since the 70s seem to merge into one as far as I'm concerned.

Father Ted is still the funnier of the two though.

I'm Alan Partridge.
That's my nomination, I mean.

One Foot In The Grave just gets in, early January 1990. Otherwise I would say dinnerladies.

Also I had no idea Dad existed until this thread. Off to do some catching up!

Then again there was Mulberry. Although not so much funny as poignant.

Father Ted for me