Doctor Who... Page 1,119

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th May 2021, 12:02 PM

News today that John Barrowman was partial to getting his wang out on the Dr Who set

Dirty fecker!

Apparently it feels bigger on the inside.

Reminds me of when I had diarrhea.
Dalek sometimes skips breakfast. Eggs terminate.

I did find this quite addictive game online called Doctor 2048 ( Easy to play online just google it)
it's a little like a square sliding puzzle but every time you match two of the same Doctor they turn into a square of the next Doctor onward so two Hartnell's make a Troughton and so forth
It is quite fun

Also I just rewatched " A Good man goes to war " which was quite fun especially the ending where it finishes the series by saying the Doctor will be back in "Let's kill Hitler"

I may have to watch that one now,

"At last, supreme power is mine!" laughed Himmler.

I know it probably is Woke Bollocks, but can we use this thread if we aren't accusing it directly of being woke bollocks
Just makes the forum look more family friendly
and also It can be quite a great show at times ( not recent times I'll grant you, woke bollocks if you ask me)

I like these duelling Doctor Who threads. It's like watching a battle for the soul of the BCG. Although this clearly is the definitive one, started 15 years ago and not infected by the culture war nonsense of that tedious woke-bashing one.

Also, has anyone watched any of the animated Doctor Whos? Where they go back and animate the lost episodes?

Quote: chipolata @ 5th September 2021, 5:42 AM

I like these duelling Doctor Who threads. It's like watching a battle for the soul of the BCG. Although this clearly is the definitive one, started 15 years ago and not infected by the culture war nonsense of that tedious woke-bashing one.

I was looking for a generic Dr Who thread last Sunday on which to post notice of the forthcoming Peter Cushing film on TPTV. But the nearest I could find was the "woke" one (hence my comment that no woke-ness was involved in a shameless attempt to keep it on topic). Clearly that must have been because I was searching under "Dr" and not "Doctor". It's a minefield out there...

Quote: chipolata @ 5th September 2021, 5:42 AM

and not infected by the culture war nonsense of that tedious woke-bashing one.

It's interesting, I found Doctor Who pre-Chibnall/Whittaker to be more "woke" than the Chibnall/Whittaker era, which is more superficially and "kid gloves" woke with its handling of issues, perhaps bar the Punjab episode which seemed pretty well done.

Literally Capaldi's final series had it in droves. In one episode he referred to history whitewashing black people out, and punched a racist, and a couple of episodes later was a rally against capitalism with people in space being denied oxygen if (I think) they're not earning the company enough money.

Not to mention that 60s-80s Who had quite "Woke" moments.
It reminds me of people who wang on about "Star Trek going too woke!" with discovery yet *gestures at what 60s trek did with one of TV's first interracial kisses etc.* and Star Trek's Starfleet/federation basically being a progressive Utopia.

Anyway, I'll stop there as it looks like I'm angry ranting when honestly it's more bemused incredulousness, haha.

Quote: Feeoree @ 5th September 2021, 11:23 AM

It's interesting, I found Doctor Who pre-Chibnall/Whittaker to be more "woke" than the Chibnall/Whittaker era, which is more superficially and "kid gloves" woke with its handling of issues, perhaps bar the Punjab episode which seemed pretty well done.

Literally Capaldi's final series had it in droves. In one episode he referred to history whitewashing black people out, and punched a racist, and a couple of episodes later was a rally against capitalism with people in space being denied oxygen if (I think) they're not earning the company enough money.

Not to mention that 60s-80s Who had quite "Woke" moments.
It reminds me of people who wang on about "Star Trek going too woke!" with discovery yet *gestures at what 60s trek did with one of TV's first interracial kisses etc.* and Star Trek's Starfleet/federation basically being a progressive Utopia.

Anyway, I'll stop there as it looks like I'm angry ranting when honestly it's more bemused incredulousness, haha.

I agree. A lot of science fiction has always had a strong 'woke' tendency, so if tha sort of thing t bothers somebody they'd be better off avoiding the genre altogether..

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th September 2021, 11:10 AM

I was looking for a generic Dr Who thread last Sunday on which to post notice of the forthcoming Peter Cushing film on TPTV. But the nearest I could find was the "woke" one (hence my comment that no woke-ness was involved in a shameless attempt to keep it on topic). Clearly that must have been because I was searching under "Dr" and not "Doctor". It's a minefield out there...

Doctor Who is the anagram for Torchwood so it has to be this way.

I can still remember the first episode and being more scared of the Stone Age people than the Daleks.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th September 2021, 9:24 PM

I can still remember the first episode and being more scared of the Stone Age people than the Daleks.

I remember the school playground being full of 10 year old boys with arms perpendicular constantly enunciating the command to "exterminate" the morning after the Daleks' first appearance.

They were an iconic villain. Slightly rubbish if you thought about them too much, but they were nothing if not memorable.

Russell T Davis is returning as Show runner, Wow
He must have felt more sorry for the show these days than we all have

Could be good, much like George W Bush he doesn't seem so bad when you see what came after

He's had a decent run lately with Years and Years and It's A Sin, so hopefully he can make Who a bit more must see.

(Although I personally would have quite liked the Line of Duty guy in charge).