The BCG PRO thread Page 2

Haven't investigated closely - but is the pitch document separate to the script itself, then?
Generally, if the pitch doesn't float their boat, the script is unlikely too.
I would guess that Pitch Centre is not like some competitions/opportunities where they're primarily looking for writers.
If I was putting stuff into this I would want to make sure the Pitch document shone like a diamond.

I believe you open a project, see the log line and about sections etc and then you can download the script and attachments if you want to.

Are you notified if someone downloads the script is the question.

Thanks for adding projects to Pitch Centre, and well done for getting through the process of polishing your work (I know it's a long and painful process to get everything perfect!).

I think we need to set expectations that contacts from producers will probably be rare... you've got to be their favourite idea for them to want to invite you for a meeting. But, of course hopefully you are indeed someone's favourite, so I think worth the effort filling in the form and awaiting that person to find you.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th August 2021, 10:45 PM

It doesn't say how many scripts have been uploaded.

I'd estimate that about half of the projects currently uploaded have scripts attached. (Some are just ideas, but it's worth also noting some are not narrative projects... e.g. an improvised radio panel show format doesn't need a script).

It's hard to know if the views include both the pitch and the script or just the pitch.

Quote: Jonas Jamarik @ 13th August 2021, 8:28 PM

Are you notified if someone downloads the script is the question.

It's just the project page at the moment being counted. We're not tracking file opens.

For me the script should do the talking, but I'm less confident they'll choose to read it after a prosaic pitch or treatment they don't like the sound of. But putting just a script up may look like it's missing a pitch. Hmm...

Up to you, but if you've got a script I think upload it so it is available. Producers are likely to read it second to the pitch (the pitch helps them check if it's worth investing time in reading 10 pages)... but if they like your pitch then at least it's there. As Lazzard says, if they don't like the sound of your pitch/treatment, it'll probably not be a match made in heaven either way and so the script is unlikely to change their mind.

Thanks for the replies, very useful info and it confirms very much what Lazzard said about the prominence of the pitch.

It's not where I've put my focus, although I think they are adequate. But they are certainly not sparkly 'look books' Teary Okay then, I'll try in this free day I have to spruce them up, although I hate all this modern use of multimedia crap and I'm rubbish at IT. But I will extend the the treatments and give references to similar sitcoms. I might even enjoy doing it.

BTW, have any of the prods now using the service given you feedback yet on what they're seeing, ie. 'We'd like more of this type of comedy to look at; we've got too many of that type in the queue; we'd prefer to see them to include more of this or that in their pitches.' etc. ? Cheers in advance.

Also I'd like to add, I get the impression that most of us think this Pitch Centre is a very positive development for writers fed up with the lack opportunities offered to them, and I applaud its creation. I only hope the producers do back up what they've been saying, by using the service to genuinely develop new shows by unknowns and relative unknowns.

Their usual clientele (the stand ups) are doing alright, believe me, and the channels are choc full of their panel shows, comedy quiz shows and comedy dramas. But viewers AND critics are not getting anything like what they want and were once used to getting in terms of quality and quantity of genuine SITCOMS. Why don't you invite them to read some of the threads here on current comedy show output?

Oh and one more little thing, the overall package of our pitches looks very good except for: no gaps between the natural paragraphs as typed out by us, which I'm worried will make it very difficult for them to read. Or do THEY see it as we've written it. Thanks for any replies and well done for this venture.

Nice idea. Thanks for setting it up

I've uploaded 2 manuscripts of children's books I wrote which I always thought might translate to a cartoon series as one pitch. Thought I may as well as I've given up trying to find an interested publisher/agent for them. 2 views.

I also uploaded 2 x 15/20 minute long children's TV scripts as one pitch. Written for a competition that I found out about late and missed the deadline for. Kept them for the next year's entry but the competition was stopped. I tried my luck with them and sent them to the agent of the guy I imagined playing the lead. They passed them on and he actually read them and sent back feedback! Mega cool! He told me a few things I needed to cut but was positive. 'pleasing silliness, some good gags, and cheap to film.' 4 views so far.

Certainly less frustrating than going through hundreds of websites to check submission rules.

Will submit a couple of scripts soon - to echo others, thanks for creating this unique opportunity. But i must say i wonder if you are ready for the avalanche of hopeful submissions once a project gets optioned and publicised.

My latest script is ready to go up. I'm never 100% happy with them. Maybe because sense of humour depends on your mood and that changes all the time. If I kept it to myself trying to get it perfect it would just stay on my laptop forever.

And there's the potential issue. By which I mean the issue about it's potential. When it's sitting in my laptop it has the potential to be loved by everybody and be a huge success. Letting other people see it leads to rejection. It's almost more enjoyable to have a potential smash hit than to take the steps that could possibly actually make that a reality.

I'll just give it until the weekend...

Another question about the Pitch Centre, thought I'd ask it here should others have the same query. It says interested prods can contact the writer via a private message. I'm wondering if this is the same PM service that is currently out of action? If this is the case then should we be providing our own contact details on our pitches? I haven't as yet, but will do if needed. Be a shame if one of them does actually like something and can't contact us. Ta in advance.

Maybe that's why I don't have hundreds of producer begging to put my shows on?

Yup, definitely that.