New Big Bang Theory Page 5

Quote: zooo @ 12th May 2016, 8:42 PM BST

Apparently Americans pronounce solder as 'sodder'.
Weird.

This was a bone of contention when I had many American friends (USAF airbases) in the 60s and more so the 70s and they would insist it was "sodder" even though they spell it solder as we do, but we have many, many anomalies so cannot say too much. (Quay for example, which I saw an American officer's wife pronounce as Kway on TV "Oh yes, I love walking along the kway" Unimpressed)

The other one was aluminium which they pronounce as aluminum, without the second "I" BUT if you check an American dictionary it shows both spellings, so we can assume from that as a general rule the Yanks are ignorant colonists who have lost touch with the Mother land. Whistling nnocently

We definitely pronounce 'solder' as 'sodder'. And I'm pretty sure we are ignorant.

I can't help thinking we're in the right when we pronounce 'aluminum' with four syllables instead of five though. However, the British pronunciation sounds nicer.

You can pronounce it any way you like as long as you don't end every sentence with that guttural croak.
It's false and very annoying.

Herc's not the only one to open old threads....

Been watching American TV through a VPN. Nothing dodgy, just free to air channels and catch-up.

The Big Bang is showing on one channel and I was immediately struck that the British version is very heavily censored.
When Penny asks Sheldon where Leonard is, he replies probably masturbating. Howard says Son of a bitch several times.
And much more.
Sorry to shock you with these rude censored words.

One of the plus things is the adverts. Nothing like ours. Especially the pharmaceutical drug ones. At the end of the ad, they have to say all the possible side effects so they have employed a bloke that can talk 50 to the dozen - like the American auctioneers lol.

And the food adverts, Oh I want to go to the Red Robin so much.
Another one goes 'order a 72 Oz steak and eat it in 72 minutes and you eat free.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th August 2021, 9:34 AM

Herc's not the only one to open old threads....

Been watching American TV through a VPN. Nothing dodgy, just free to air channels and catch-up.

The Big Bang is showing on one channel and I was immediately struck that the British version is very heavily censored.
When Penny asks Sheldon where Leonard is, he replies probably masturbating. Howard says Son of a bitch several times.
And much more.
Sorry to shock you with these rude censored words.

You're allowed, but don't make a habit of it, and I would like to see the uncensored BBT. AND am surprised as that sort of thing is usually the other way round, what with the Yanks putting plasters over nipples for example (no matter what gender).....or they did at one time.

**EDIT Whatever happened to Davida? She was such a fan of British humour and was often posting prior to 2018.

Quote: Davida @ 5th August 2016, 1:47 AM

We definitely pronounce 'solder' as 'sodder'. And I'm pretty sure we are ignorant.

I can't help thinking we're in the right when we pronounce 'aluminum' with four syllables instead of five though. However, the British pronunciation sounds nicer.