Status report Page 6,105

Quote: DaButt @ 11th July 2021, 7:27 PM

Canceled the UK/Ireland trip and booked a flight to/from Paris. D-Day beaches, Stuttgart (visiting my daughter's friend), Munich, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin are on the itinerary. Better than nothing, I suppose.

I'm gonna miss all those pints of cask ale. :(

Sorry you're not coming to blighty, but the itinerary you've got sounds pretty good. And if you want beer, Germany do some pretty damn fine ones.

Quote: chipolata @ 12th July 2021, 6:36 AM

.............................. damn fine ones.

Do they do this as well. :D (Ignore the twat wrong title)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th July 2021, 9:27 AM

Do they do this as well. :D (Ignore the twat wrong title)

:D

That's a damn fine TV show too.

And damn fine titles theme music :D

Great theme. Mind you, I was even a fan of Booth and the Bad angel, when Badalamenti teamed up with the James singer.

They make very good helmets those Germans

Quote: chipolata @ 12th July 2021, 6:36 AM

And if you want beer, Germany do some pretty damn fine ones.

But apart from the regional Dunkel, the closest thing they have to an ale, Germany's strict beer laws mean everything is a lager, even a dunkel. Although I've been informed you may get one if you stray into Belgium, don't know how true that is, only ever seen lager there.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th July 2021, 10:18 AM

Yeah, just what I think. He's a nice man otherwise but it's more than a bee in his bonnet.
Today's broadcast is that millions will die in the next year from the effects of the vaccine.

But YOU can't wait to unmask!

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th July 2021, 5:47 PM

That sort of misinformation is deadly.
In the US - where skepticism is much worse - it divides along political lines.
86% of Democrats have had at least one jab - for Republicans it 's 45%.
Madness.

Skepticism?

Quote: chipolata @ 10th July 2021, 9:35 PM

I remember when the Status Report thread was fun stuff about flleaing the cat or eating a sausage. Not anymore.

Fleaing the sausage or eating the cat are more fun.

Quote: Chappers @ 18th July 2021, 3:39 PM

Skepticism?

American spelling used:
a) because we're talking about Americans
b) to wind up Herc
c) because, actually, I though that was how you spell it. Mea culpa.

Julie Burchill who I've been aware of for centuries says the following about online Trolls. She says a lot of sense.

"The answer to trolling is not policing social media - but in individuals toughening up. From the lowest reality star to the richest Oscar-winner, if you're not hard don't pursue a career which is all about being appraised by millions. And whatever happened to Sticks & Stones?

I believe that our aim should not be to pursue a policy of ridding cyberspace of trolls - it can never be accomplished, and the police have far more important things to do, such as clear up their woefully low conviction rates of every actual crime from burglary to rape - but to make people immune to them."

The airline just canceled my flight to Denver that was supposed to leave in 5 hours; they rescheduled me for tomorrow morning, but I wouldn't make our flight to Paris, so I had to book a last-minute seat on another airline. It leaves in 3 hours so I'm frantically trying to pack, mow the lawn, and get ready for a 2-week trip.

The new airline just texted and said that severe thunderstorms in Denver will cause delays, cancellations, and problems with checked baggage. It was enough of a slap in the face a couple of days ago when the UK decided that we could've carried on with our original plans without quarantining. I won't believe this trip is even happening until my shoes hit the poop-covered sidewalks of Paris.

One of the (few) advantages of growing old I just found out this morning via the electoral register update - you are exempt from jury service when you reach 76. Perhaps they do it because they don't expect you to be about much longer. :(................Angelic

Dunno whether I'm happy about that or not. Unimpressed

On a train from Stuttgart to Germany. Paris was ok, the D-Day beaches and American cemetery were the only places in France that I cared to see. Stuttgart was full of people drinking beer and having a good time.

Things got even weirder the night before we left - my son-in-law (a cop) got into a shootout with a drunken middle-aged man. The man lost the fight (and his life) and none of the cops were injured. You couldn't pay me enough to be a police officer these days.

Where did all the daddy long legs go?

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th August 2021, 11:19 AM

Where did all the daddy long legs go?

A circus - subsequently sued by stilt manufacturers for putting them out of business.