What are you watching on TV? Page 2,218

The Mayans MC, odd episodes out of order.

I tried watching The Pursuit of Love, but tired of the Mitfords very quickly. What is it with British TV and this fascination with posh people? No wonder we're saddled with a parasitic royal family. Instead of a royal yacht, a guillotine would be much more economical.

Quote: beaky @ 2nd August 2021, 1:14 PM

I tried watching The Pursuit of Love, but tired of the Mitfords very quickly. What is it with British TV and this fascination with posh people? No wonder we're saddled with a parasitic royal family. Instead of a royal yacht, a guillotine would be much more economical.

Wasn't it dreary.
A fairly inconsequential book turned into a hugely inconsequential TV show.
And no amount of T.Rex sprinkled over it hides the fact.

Whatever happened to the likely lads

I think Sheila Fearn spent about 90% of her acting career in a kitchen making cups of tea and washing dishes

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd August 2021, 2:31 PM

Whatever happened to the likely lads

I think Sheila Fearn spent about 90% of her acting career in a kitchen making cups of tea and washing dishes

And spread eagled on a bed? Lovey

In yer dreams matey

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd August 2021, 3:22 PM

In yer dreams matey

Oooh Arrrr, shiver me timbers, that's all I need. She might be quite grateful now........................I know I would. Pirate

Last night, two seventies sitcoms shown side by side. The Good Life, so twee that I turned it off, and Yes Minister, darkly funny and endlessly cynical, as good - and relevant - today as it was then. What a contrast!

Quote: beaky @ 4th August 2021, 10:09 AM

Last night, two seventies sitcoms shown side by side. The Good Life, so twee that I turned it off,

VYVYAN: NO!! No! We're not watching the bloody Good Life!! Bloody bloody bloody!! I hate it!! It's so bloody nice! Felicity 'Treacle' Kendall and Richard 'Sugar-Flavored-Snot' Briars!! What do they do now?! Chocolate bloody Button ads, that's what!! They're just a couple of reactionary stereotypes, confirming the myth that everyone in Britain is a lovable, middle-class eccentric - and I - HATE - THEM!!

I like the title sequence, though. With the flowers and petals. Although Yes Minister's is better. With the caricatures.

Scarfe at his best.

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th August 2021, 11:37 AM

VYVYAN: NO!! No! We're not watching the bloody Good Life!! Bloody bloody bloody!! I hate it!! It's so bloody nice! Felicity 'Treacle' Kendall and Richard 'Sugar-Flavored-Snot' Briars!! What do they do now?! Chocolate bloody Button ads, that's what!! They're just a couple of reactionary stereotypes, confirming the myth that everyone in Britain is a lovable, middle-class eccentric - and I - HATE - THEM!!

Confessing that he has only seen (The Young Ones) 'occasionally' since it aired between 1982 and 1984, Edmondson says: 'It looks tired and slow. If you watch The Good Life now though, you think: yeah that still looks relevant. You think: that's funny.'

https://www.chortle.co.uk/punching-ups/2020/03/29/45749/the_young_ones_was_overrated..._but_the_good_life,_now_thats_funny

Big Deal series 2

Ray Brooks was great

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th August 2021, 1:16 PM

Confessing that he has only seen (The Young Ones) 'occasionally' since it aired between 1982 and 1984, Edmondson says: 'It looks tired and slow. If you watch The Good Life now though, you think: yeah that still looks relevant. You think: that's funny.'

https://www.chortle.co.uk/punching-ups/2020/03/29/45749/the_young_ones_was_overrated..._but_the_good_life,_now_thats_funny

That's the most depressing thing I've ever seen, and I once watched 9 hours of Ingmar Bergman. It's up there with Ben Elton saying in retrospect the Thatch was a strong women so deserved respect - or sticking his tongue so far up Lloyd Webber's jacksie no winder he's full of shit - or sticking up for The Good Life. In fact, every f**king thing Ben's ever done since 1988.
I guess everyone sells out in the end. My personal favourite was Alexei Sayle's 7 levels of Comedian Hell, culminating in - AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGG! - adverts. Does 'Woolworth's, we've got a gift for Christmas' mean anything to you?
I saw a big concert sign, 'New Order - SOLD OUT!' I thought Yes, in 1993.

Mr jolly lives next door

No he doesn't.