Nearest And Dearest - Hit or miss? Page 2

I can remember seeing the spin off feature film on TV. In particular the cut and un cut versions.

In the un cut version. Jimmy Jewell meets a young lady working on an attraction on Blackpool seafront. When a customer hits the target with a ball she gets ejected off her perch. In the un cut version, she then drops her pants and shows the winner her behind. There is also a cut line when she refers to the customers hard balls. Wooden balls for throwing of course.

As far as I remember it was a typical ITV comedy - and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I loved Nellie and Eli's cousin Lily, played by Madge Hindle, and her husband Walter, played by Eddie Malin. Does anyone remember seeing an episode featuring Susan Hanson, Miss Diane of Crossroads fame?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/nearest_and_dearest/episodes/5/3/

Watched the series and finished it today. Thought it was hit and miss. Thought it went on longer than it should have. The first 3 series was good and then after that I gotten a bit bored of it really. It was an average series to be perfectly honest. It dragged on for me to be honest.

I agree

Has its moments but the scripts aren't up to much on the whole

Great cast though

Of its time!

Worked my way through Series 3, and it hasn't improved a lot, but still has the odd giggle and so, worth a watch nonetheless.

In the last episode, watched last night, "The Ghost Of Picklers Past", just about recognised Windsor Davies as the local vicar.

Ya knock kneed knackered old nosebag. Beautiful words.

Why not, while we're at it.....................

Stop stood standing there, you big girl's blouse.
And 'ave yer been? I say, 'ave yer been Walter?

Walter, or Edward Malin must have laughed when he saw the scripts. Never a line to say, just look doddery and pull a funny face.
While Miss Nelly was always forgetting hers, Edward must have been smirking.

There's often a knowing smile between Hylda and Jimmy, so I can't believe there's was such an acrimonious relationship between them

I've thought that about many on screen relationships where they say they couldn't stand each other off screen.
Makes for a good story.

Any road, excuse me - I'm of to woo mish Nelly

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th July 2021, 9:08 AM

I

Any road, excuse me - I'm of to woo mish Nelly

Make sure you've got your teeth in, and you've been.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th February 2018, 10:40 AM

And my main reason for this post was, it was a bit of a surprise to see Lennard Pearce (OFAH Grandad of course) as a posh member of an exclusive golf club. (OK, I know he's an actor but nevertheless the accent was so different)

Turned up again last night, in the episode of Nearest and Dearest I was watching as a well spoken and smart doctor - just about recognised him in a part far, far removed from OFAH Seemed odd seeing him.

Well...................................I finally got to Disc/Series 7 last night, and it's been a LONG haul!!

It all tailed off somewhere around Series 5 for me and was a struggle then as there's just so many times you can hear "Ooh, I must get a little hand for this wristwatch", which raised fewer titters among the live (?) audience.

From what I can see, without going into it too deeply, it was mid-way through the series that the original writers Harry Driver and Vince Powell (who I did a script writing course with) handed the reins over to various writers, mostly being Roy Bottomley, Tom Brennand and John Stevenson, whoever they were.

No, it's a box-set I'll never look at again.

Do have a perverted urge though, to get Lily Tattersall (Madge Hindle) under the sheets, especially as I don't think Walter was giving her much satisfaction...................she must keep that hat on though. ?