Too Far, Jimmy Carr? Page 11

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 25 2009, 8:12 PM GMT

He's 'armless.

:) :) :)

Quote: Nat Wicks @ January 12 2011, 2:46 PM GMT

It's pretty common now that clubs have heckling policies where they say you can berrate the MC as much as you like but people who persistently heckle acts will be removed.

Yay!

I did a gig last night where the gobby/drunk girl got totally out of control and the MC called her as a c**t. This proved not to be the best approach however, as she then attacked him and brought the evening practically to a standstill, leaving the poor headliner to gallantly trudge through his set for a crowd that were a lot more interested in what had just happened than anything he had to offer.

I've been at this for just over a year and never been heckled but when it happens I'm going to do my best to remember that when a person is that drunk no amount of slamming is going to shut them up. Really the only sensible course of action is a glassing.

I've been told a few times that you should try to befriend a drunk heckler when you're on stage. If you try to end them, they will fight back. Tell them you like them and try to include them in the joke and they're a lot more likeely to shut up. I've seen someone do this and it worked a TREAT whereas the drunk guy would shut up previously.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ January 12 2011, 3:21 PM GMT

I've been told a few times that you should try to befriend a drunk heckler when you're on stage. If you try to end them, they will fight back. Tell them you like them and try to include them in the joke and they're a lot more likeely to shut up. I've seen someone do this and it worked a TREAT whereas the drunk guy would shut up previously.

That is the way to do it - and all the better if you can manage a sly wink to the audience that let's them know you're just homouring the dummy. The wonderful Tom McDonnell ended up pacifying last night's harridan by asking her where her last holiday was. A minute later she was sat on the floor mumbling away, a danger to no one but herself.

psychology = good.

Glassing = better

or perhaps befriend them then glass them later...after the show.

Jimmy Carr believes 'dodgy joke from his past' will end his comedy career, here's the recent article:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/jimmy-carr-shares-dodgy-coronation-24558031#

Personally I think Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle, Dave Chappelle have all gotten away with skirting close to the PC ceiling, because they're extremely skilled at what they do. Will there come a day when knowing they're tonged in cheek, or close to the edge isn't enough to stop them being cancelled ?

Quote: Firkin @ 18th July 2021, 3:43 PM

Jimmy Carr believes 'dodgy joke from his past' will end his comedy career, here's the recent article:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/jimmy-carr-shares-dodgy-coronation-24558031#

Personally I think Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle, Dave Chappelle have all gotten away with skirting close to the PC ceiling, because they're extremely skilled at what they do. Will there come a day when knowing they're tonged in cheek, or close to the edge isn't enough to stop them being cancelled ?

Well let's just hope that cancelling gets cancelled soon as a bit of a fad.

Probably just drumming up publicity for the new series. In the words of Oscar Wilde, there is only one thing worse than being talked about behind one's back. And that is One Direction. They are shit.

Fantastic title for a thread. It's got a rhythm and poetry. Well done, Tim!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 19th July 2021, 7:17 AM

Probably just drumming up publicity for the new series. In the words of Oscar Wilde, there is only one thing worse than being talked about behind one's back..

I agree. Seems like just a way to drum up a bit of publicity.

Johnny Vegas did something similar.
Saying that some of your old material would probably have got you the sack - turns into "Vegas fears for career in cancel culture shock!" headline.
Everything's click-bait these days.

F**king works though, dunnit.
Jimmy Carr warns audiences they may find some of his new material inoffensive.
Jimmy writes approximately 8864269 jokes a sec. You can't possibly love all of them.

Daily Star showbiz "story" made-up rubbish shock!

Quote: beaky @ 19th August 2021, 8:42 AM

Daily Star showbiz "story" made-up rubbish shock!

I worked with a bloke who read the Daily Star - he was as thick as two short planks. Utter garbage.

The hilarious thing about this is that it could be the least offensive joke he's ever made. https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/jimmy-carrs-dad-calls-him-one-sick-comedian-and-says-he-crossed-the-line-over-joke-339557