You're Only Young Twice Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 15th July 2021, 10:50 PM

Oh, I loved it. Thought it got better and better as the series progressed. Maybe dip into the third and see if it changes any?

It'll be a while.

Binge watching is a complete anathema to me, so I rotate my box sets, that is viewing one disc from each as I go along, AND this morning counted up to find I have currently 19 of them on the go!!

And then I watch as they take my fancy, depending on the mood I'm in - some of them I struggle to go back to and some I like to savour, and so only watch occasionally to stretch out the pleasure.

But coming back to this sitcom, it's still OK, but I'm not keen on the change of Peggy Mount's character. - she's gone from benign dominance to one with a self-centred streak.

At last, one that was really funny, thanks mostly to Pat Coombs, who as the dotty Cissie, "accidentally" gets herself engaged in "Cissie's Last Chance", and her beau is none other than that of Frank Williams.

Pat was also the best in "Who's Calling?", when she gets a dirty phone call.

Otherwise, I'm still struggling with this.

Well, that was the longest series ever - 8 episodes of series 3 that seemed to drag on forever. Didn't think I'd make it to the end, and they finish with what must be the unfunniest Christmas special (?) I've ever watched of any sitcom.

One more disc (Series 4) to watch in the box-set..........................when I can steel myself to watch it to the bitter end.

Considering the two main comedy actors are Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs, I expected more, but to be fair they were working with some pretty dire material on occasion.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th October 2021, 11:22 PM

One more disc (Series 4) to watch in the box-set..........................when I can steel myself to watch it to the bitter end.

Just did........finish this box-set at last, and sad to say, it didn't get any better. Simply was not that funny, which is a shame as I love Pat Coombs and Peggy Mount.
The drippy character played by Pat was OK, but the domineering Peggy Mount character started to grate early on and I went right off her.

Probably only about 2 out of the 30 (?) episodes were any good imo.

I found Peggy's character grated really on, but then I warmed to the dynamic and enjoyed Pat a lot more. Really like this series a lot.

Peggy Mount in this compared to her Ada Larkins is like chalk and cheese - worlds apart comically.

Finished Pat Coombs biog. and maybe not surprised that Peggy Mount was a tyrant in real life too. If she took an instant dislike to you, that was it - you were dead to her, and nothing, but nothing would change her mind, even if it meant losing out financially, which she did with this series, according to Pat.

According to Peggy, Michael Ashton (the co-writer of this series) had to sack an actor in a play he was directing in the theatre, because he was useless, BUT he was a friend of Peggy's, and so Ashton was the devil incarnate in her eyes.

She would not appear in any cast photographs if Ashton was there, and even refused to appear in Pat's big moment on This Is Your Life, telling them that if he was on the programme she wouldn't be. In the end, both Ashton and co-writer Pam Valentine turned down the invite, so as not to disappoint Pat, with Peggy's non-appearance. But, of course, this made Pat wonder why the writers of this sitcom didn't make an appearance.

But she found out later, calling Peggy a "silly old sausage" (swearing wasn't in her vocab.), saying the series would have gone on longer, if Peggy hadn't been so nasty about one of the writers.

What a gal!