The BCG PRO thread

A thread for anything in the BCG PRO set up. I've noticed there's quite a few general BCG posters who are members of it at different levels, but I haven't seen much feedback about its services.

I joined as a starter mainly for the opportunities on there for scribblers but haven't heard much from others here about them or from the comps I've entered tbh. But then of course, waiting and writing are virtually the same word. Pirate

Some have their own threads with not much on there either, but here's a thread for any comments about any successes in any of them, shortlistings, longlistings, quality of feedback where given, and even acknowledgments and progress updates before you've died.

The other main thing that I'm tempted to try is the Pitch Centre. I wondered if anyone here has put any of their work in it, and have they had any interest from prods and the like? Have you put your whole scripts in there or just the treatments? Or both? Has it worked for anyone?

It could inspire more of us scribblers on here to use its services if those with any successes from it share them with everyone. So here's a thread for it. Wave

I think with Pitch Centre it might help if there was a bit more transparency as to the level of exposure one would get ie how many 'reputable' ProdCo's are registered to view your work - and at what level.
In my case, for instance, as part of a Development Partnership already, I'd only be interested in talking to people with a view to bringing them onboard - consequently they would need to have a certain heft if they were to bring something to the party.
If there are a significant number of genuine production names signed up, I can't see it NOT working.
If the work is good, of course.

I've put up a couple of pilot scripts. No response as yet.

Personally, I think you would need to know if it had been viewed/downloaded and how often for it to be of much use.

Thanks for flagging this Alf, i had missed it. Sounds very interesting.

Quote: beaky @ 10th July 2021, 11:47 AM

I've put up a couple of pilot scripts. No response as yet.

Ah, I've just noticed from the website page it says "The first prods will begin perusing Script Centre later this month". So they're not ignoring your gems, yet.

I've put in one 30 min TV pilot, with series treatment, about to upload a radio script.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th July 2021, 11:07 AM

If there are a significant number of genuine production names signed up, I can't see it NOT working.
If the work is good, of course.

Yes, it's seems to me at first glance like a very much needed facility for both creators and producers, especially as the monopolising entity for most script writers is the increasingly apathetic and difficult to reach BBC. Like you I just hope enough serious prod co. are aware of its emergence. Huh? Or it'll just add to the never ending waiting game that is spec script writing. Teary

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th July 2021, 12:19 PM

Personally, I think you would need to know if it had been viewed/downloaded and how often for it to be of much use.

Yes that's a question someone here may need to ask the organisers of it here. Rolling eyes I hadn't realised how new it was, so maybe that's info that's yet to be added to the page.

So far, after the adding of a project description and writer profile, the presentation as they will see it looks pretty good.

(EXCEPT FOR MAYBE MISSING THE GAPS BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS) Whistling nnocently

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th July 2021, 2:36 PM

especially as the monopolising entity for most script writers is the increasingly apathetic and difficult to reach BBC

I think the streaming services are a much better option these days.
Seems to be a lot less hierarchical structure - and they make more stuff.

Quote: Lazzard @ 11th July 2021, 5:57 PM

I think the streaming services are a much better option these days.
Seems to be a lot less hierarchical structure - and they make more stuff.

Although I don't think the streaming services are quite as strong on sitcoms yet.

Let's be honest - no-one really wants sitcoms. I think writers really need to look elsewhere.

EDIT: In the cold light of day that's a bit harsh. I think placing 'traditional' multi-camera, studio audience sitcoms is hard.
So it depends what your definition of Sit-Coms is I guess.
Lots of great comedy being commissioned though.

Hi everyone. If you ever have any questions about BCG Pro you can email us on pro@comedy.co.uk for a same-day response (even at weekends).

As Alfred spotted, Pitch Centre isn't live to the production companies yet. Sorry if that wasn't clear. After the individual feedback we provided to everyone (if you didn't get an email in June, do email pro@comedy.co.uk), the majority asked for more time to work on their pitches. We'll go live later this month though (at which point a view counter will appear in your account). I don't have an exact day yet, but we'll let you all know when I do. :)

The Pitch Centre is now live to producers, in case those with pitches in there didn't yet know. It currently has 185 projects and five are mine. Have had a total of six views but no contacts. Anyone else here pitched something? Any views, any contacts?
Even if I get no one contacting me, it's made me polish up a few scripts. But then that could make it even worse if none get liked by prods. Teary Oh well, soon find out if forty years of writing for a hobby's been wasted or not. Ill

One project up with 2x 20 minute scripts. (Children's TV). 2 views so far. No contacts. Will probably get more views than things sent to production companies.

Just writing up another TV script. Gentle comedy in bite sized bits. It would be very very easy to film a pilot.

I also have a couple of children's picture book manuscripts that I think would make good cartoons. Might post those too.

I've got two comedy show pilot scripts on there. I got some feedback on improving my about sections from bcg back in June and it really made me think more about the scripts.

So far I've got a single view on one and 2 views on the other one. I'm most likely not going to walk into the sea if nothing comes off these, but I think it's great that there is a pitch function like this on bcg.

Ha, like Reggie Perrin. Yes that was the advice, but most scripts until proofread have little typos in them. It can take ages making a 30 plus page ms faultless, I've made sure the first three pages don't have any and by that time the reader is in, that's an old scribbler's trick that most swear by. Unless you've got time to go word blind.

Some people have been busy because the number of pitches in there now stands at 222. It doesn't say how many scripts have been uploaded. I've got 5 projects pitched with 4, v soon to be 5 scripts. It's hard to know if the views include both the pitch and the script or just the pitch. For me the script should do the talking, but I'm less confident they'll choose to read it after a prosaic pitch or treatment they don't like the sound of. But putting just a script up may look like it's missing a pitch. Hmm...