Status report Page 6,104

Yeah, just what I think. He's a nice man otherwise but it's more than a bee in his bonnet.
Today's broadcast is that millions will die in the next year from the effects of the vaccine.

That sort of misinformation is deadly.
In the US - where skepticism is much worse - it divides along political lines.
86% of Democrats have had at least one jab - for Republicans it 's 45%.
Madness.

It does seem that we need better compliance to deal with covid, global warming and the population explosion. Only China has managed to address population explosion, but we don't want that, so I wonder what the solution will be ?

A better informed public is the only non-draconian answer.
Mainly, people need to know where their information comes from, the quality of that information and the motives of the people disseminating it.
That and a few less selfish c***s.

I keep hearing people saying 'I'm young and fit and healthy, I don't need it'

It's not just about YOU , you selfish prat

YOU may be ok if you get it but you can still give it to other people

Is there a vaccine being developed for being gormless yet?

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th July 2021, 5:47 PM

In the US - where skepticism is much worse - it divides along political lines.
86% of Democrats have had at least one jab - for Republicans it 's 45%.

I wouldn't believe that figure for a second. Covid was successfully weaponized by the Democrats to help them win the election, and it continues to serve them as divisive issue to this day. Although things have changed a bit in the last few weeks, as a majority of Democrats and Republicans all think that the virus escaped from a Chinese lab. Social media posts which said such a thing in the run up to the election were blocked by the left-leaning platforms, although they are allowed now. Hmmm.

If anything, I'd say that vaccination rates vary most among certain ethnic groups and lower-income groups. I got my first jab on the first day of eligibility for over-50s and there were about 350 people waiting in line. I saw only one African American the whole time - and they don't tend to vote Republican. Stats show that the Black community has been lagging behind, but with the help of outreach programs they are catching up.

If your opponent gives a press conference where he raises the question of possibly injecting people with disinfectant - it's pretty clear you need to 'weaponise' covid - as it's clearly not going to help the situation that a total moron is at the helm

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th July 2021, 6:36 PM

I keep hearing people saying 'I'm young and fit and healthy, I don't need it'

It's not just about YOU , you selfish prat

Actually, the most important person to consider is the individual. Self-preservation is a sentient being's primary function.

It's entirely reasonable for young, healthy people to be skittish about receiving a vaccine with no long-term clinical trials that has been shown to cause death or serious medical conditions in a small subset of the population - especially when the disease has been shown to be extremely survivable for the young and healthy. I work on an Air Force base and a large percentage of service members have avoided the jab so far. I can't really blame them, since the service is filled with young and healthy men and women, by design. There are a little over 500,000 members of the USAF, and their total Covid deaths is one person. One! One airman in 18 months of the pandemic, while suicides numbered more than a hundred last year. As I said, I wouldn't blame a healthy you person for avoiding the jab until it becomes mandatory. (The military won't require it until the vaccines are fully approved - not just for emergency use.)

That said, my son-in-law went and got the Johnson & Johnson single-dose jab this morning. It looks like we still won't be able to travel to the UK on the first because I've read that the "relaxed" restrictions for vaccinated travelers only counts if you were vaccinated in the UK, so we're planning to fly to Paris and rent a van to drive to Prague, Munich, or wherever they'll allow us to visit.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th July 2021, 7:56 PM

I wouldn't believe that figure for a second. Covid was successfully weaponized by the Democrats to help them win the election...

Surely Trump and his administration also had a part to play. Research from Harvard reports "The evidence suggests that ineffective national policies and responses, especially as compared to those of other wealthy nations or compared to the intricate preparation and planning by previous administrations of both parties, have been driving the terrible toll of COVID-19 and its inequities in the U.S."

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th July 2021, 8:04 PM

If your opponent gives a press conference where he raises the question of possibly injecting people with disinfectant - it's pretty clear you need to 'weaponise' covid - as it's clearly not going to help the situation that a total moron is at the helm

If you believe that, then the partisan press and (social)media companies succeeded in their goal of manipulating their content with the goal of destroying a candidacy by any means necessary.

P.S. That "total moron" presided over the development and deployment of the vaccines which have saved hundreds of thousands of lives and allowed Americans to get back to a normal life.

Quote: Firkin @ 10th July 2021, 8:10 PM

Surely Trump and his administration also had a part to play. Research from Harvard reports "The evidence suggests that ineffective national policies and responses, especially as compared to those of other wealthy nations or compared to the intricate preparation and planning by previous administrations of both parties, have been driving the terrible toll of COVID-19 and its inequities in the U.S."

I remember when St. Fauci was against travel bans and wearing masks. I remember when St. Obama and Bishop Biden had their own bungled response to the H1NI virus which infected 60 million Americans (they got lucky because the death toll was in 5 figures instead of the six figures for Covid.)

There's no way to prevent a pandemic once it's leapt out of its initial outbreak zone. Masks and travel bans and the like are mostly theater by the time they're implemented. The virus doesn't care if you wear a mask or not. It doesn't care if you're social distancing - if you come into contact with it, you'll get sick. The only effective precaution is a vaccine.

I remember when the Status Report thread was fun stuff about flleaing the cat or eating a sausage. Not anymore.

Quote: chipolata @ 10th July 2021, 9:35 PM

I remember when the Status Report thread was fun stuff about flleaing the cat or eating a sausage. Not anymore.

Untrue! I just ate two homemade bratwursts!

Quote: DaButt @ 10th July 2021, 9:41 PM

Untrue! I just ate two homemade bratwursts!

:D

Canceled the UK/Ireland trip and booked a flight to/from Paris. D-Day beaches, Stuttgart (visiting my daughter's friend), Munich, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin are on the itinerary. Better than nothing, I suppose.

I'm gonna miss all those pints of cask ale. :(