I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,304

And that is very sensible - even in normal life. The Japs' have been wearing them forever.

With others though, it's not fear, it's closer to terror. How many do you see with full masks on driving their cars??
A jogger passed me the other day over the moors with a mask on. I could hear his laboured breathing long before I heard his footsteps. He was sucking the thing right into his mouth. There was only me and my dog for miles.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2021, 9:19 AM

With others though, it's not fear, it's closer to terror. How many do you see with full masks on driving their cars??
A jogger passed me the other day over the moors with a mask on. I could hear his laboured breathing long before I heard his footsteps. He was sucking the thing right into his mouth. There was only me and my dog for miles.

Yup, see it all the time - totally insane.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2021, 8:03 AM

If you still want to wear a mask, it's your prerogative and I can't see anyone getting harassed for that - it's more likely the masked fearful that will do the harassing..

It's not a competition between which side can harass the other most. Personally, I won't wear a mask after the Freedom Day (a stupid name) date, but I know people who are quite fearful who will, and I'm not going to browbeat and bully them.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th July 2021, 8:52 AM

Hmm, OK and yes see your point Stephen, BUT I am one of those vulnerable (COPD) and there's talk of a Covid/Flu combined vaccine booster for people like me coming up in the autumn, so for now, I will continue to wear a mask.

I simply can't risk it :(

Sadly, Herc, it's not about you wearing a mask.
It's about the selfish f**kers around you.
Mandatory masks in crowded places isn't the end of the world.
Some airlines are already stating they will mandate it - for the safety of their staff if nothing else.

Nobody in their right mind will harass or bully anyone for wearing or not, trouble is there are plenty not in their right mind.

I stood (2 metres!) behind a young pregnant woman in the Coop last week who wasn't wearing a mask. Didn't bother me - it's her life (and child?), but I would have liked to know why she wasn't wearing one.

Let's hope for everyone's sake she wasn't contagious.

Quote: Lazzard @ 6th July 2021, 10:34 AM

Let's hope for everyone's sake she wasn't contagious.

Don't worry, Lazzard. Pregnancy's not contagious.

I don't know.
My wife caught it off me 4 times.

Here's some cheery news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/china-nuclear-missile-silos/2021/06/30/0fa8debc-d9c2-11eb-bb9e-70fda8c37057_story.html

Time to remake "Threads" in glorious HD with modern CGI.

Quote: DaButt @ 6th July 2021, 10:33 PM

Here's some cheery news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/china-nuclear-missile-silos/2021/06/30/0fa8debc-d9c2-11eb-bb9e-70fda8c37057_story.html

Time to remake "Threads" in glorious HD with modern CGI.

Fair enough. It's for defence purposes only. They're worried about Burma or someone invading.

Surely China are just exercising their right to bear arms.

Just remember the old war words 'Assured mutual destruction'

Couldn't happen unless those in charge are zealots, religious fanatics or senile presidents.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th July 2021, 6:42 AM

Surely China are just exercising their right to bear arms.

So the government are saying that people are "expected" to wear masks on public transport and enclosed spaces.
In other words " Don't act like a selfish c**t, unless your a selfish c**t - in which case, do what you like"
Perhaps speed limits should become "Speed Expectations"?