Only Connect Page 57

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st December 2020, 6:01 AM

You won't see many Music Sequences as they are very hard to think of, but finally, I've had one accepted for the next series. :D

So, if anyone has an idea for a Music Sequence they are most welcome to lay it on me here. :) Thank you.

Had only 3 questions accepted this time for Series 17, so clearly that is in the can ready for broadcasting - glad I'm not in it for the money, but only the fame in seeing my name in the closing titles. Cool

This is only to be expected though, as it gets harder each year to come up with something original that passes their strict criteria and you are up against over 50 Additional Question Setters that includes the likes of Richard Osman and Lee Mack :S, apart from the Senior Question Setters.

So, am now collating questions for Series 18 and appeal again to you lovely people to post on here any ideas you may have, especially the very difficult Music Sequence, hence the quote of my previous post.

For those that do not know the programme, a music sequence is four related pieces of music (they only play a 15 second snatch of them) and after the first three you have to figure out what the fourth one would be. A very simple, and obvious one, would be Vivaldi's Four Seasons - a clip of Spring is played, then Summer, then Autumn - what is the fourth one?

Thank you Peeps. :)

Surely you'd prefer a personal message as posting on here would give it away.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2021, 1:48 PM

Surely you'd prefer a personal message as posting on here would give it away.

I can see your point, but last time people suggested ideas they were posted on here. IF they were taken up, it is unlikely they would appear on OC for well over a year and highly unlikely anyone would remember what the question was.

BUT if you have got some cracking earth shattering Connections or Sequences, then by all means PM them to me Dave. :) Or anyone else, for that matter.

Dave :

Thank you for your PM, which I have tried to reply to, BUT it keeps coming up with this message..........

"A potential recipient has been removed from this conversation as they cannot accept messages."

.....................which I don't understand. :S

Anyway, thank you for the three suggestions - certainly worth pursuing, especially the Little Richard one. Very interesting. :D

I think the Rin Tin Tin one certainly has potential, but needs tweaking, which I'll look at later as have plenty of time.

Not sure about the music one in its present form, but certainly worth refining.

So, thank you! :)

When is the series back?

I'm not privy to that info. but having been paid I know it is all done and dusted, and Series 17 will, going on previous, start in September, or even August if schedules allow.

Or it may be next Spring. :(

https://twitter.com/VictoriaCoren/status/1410313167884935169

Quote: zooo @ 7th July 2021, 11:53 AM

https://twitter.com/VictoriaCoren/status/1410313167884935169

"Now it turns out Only Connect will be showing the whole time". UH? Eh?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th July 2021, 9:06 AM

Or it may be next Spring. :(

Only a year out. ......................... :D

What do I know (I said I wasn't privy)

The new series 17 starts this coming Monday at 8 pm on Two, followed by a new series of UC, for you quiz fanatics. :)

Enjoying this as usual, and getting the odd one right before the team which is always a nice (smug) feeling. Angelic Clue 3 on tonight's music round was a gift for an oldie

However - and no spoilers - the question in the sequences round with the first clue 'bow' did me, even after VCM's explanation. I went the same way as the team which was allowed as an unspotted sequence. But I can't make head nor tail of the 'official' answer.

Am I being fick? Can this be discussed without upsetting anyone who may be recording the series to 'binge' it later? Errr

I can't remember the explanation, but on a related note, (and this may be a spoiler?) I've definitely always spelled it eon. Oops.

Yes, I was confused by the explanation too.

Quote: zooo @ 19th July 2021, 9:32 PM

I've definitely always spelled it eon. Oops.

That's how it was on the side of my van and in all the crosswords I've done.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th July 2021, 10:03 PM

Yes, I was confused by the explanation too.

Thanks BB. I've replayed it twice now and still no clearer.

Quote: fasty @ 19th July 2021, 9:02 PM

However - and no spoilers - the question in the sequences round with the first clue 'bow' did me, even after VCM's explanation. I went the same way as the team which was allowed as an unspotted sequence. But I can't make head nor tail of the 'official' answer.
Am I being fick? Can this be discussed without upsetting anyone who may be recording the series to 'binge' it later? Errr

Yes, the explanation was a bit messy and at the end of the day, it didn't really fit, but I've found this when then they bend the rules to accommodate the, I presume, Senior Question Writers.

The key word to that sequence, that didn't quite fit on the last one was they were homophones (for example New and Knew).

So, you had.....................(I've struck the Es through, but it doesn't quite show - Arse!)
E L bow,
E M pathy
E N tropy
And a messy O vert (where's the effin' E?)

I didn't like this at all and feel sure if I had submitted it, it would have been rejected, but there you are - Hey Ho.

So, the Animal Lovers fourth was Eon, and for my money there's was a better fourth as it carried on (it was supposed to be a Sequence, after all!!) in having an E, then O n, for the L,M,N,O. Although theirs wasn't a homophone, but nor was the original!! Yes, VERY messy.

As for VCM saying that Eon was a trade name, this is not correct as you can spell it Aeon OR Eon, as both are acceptable - Eon comes up regularly in Cryptic crosswords, but rarely Aeon. (And yes, before any stirrers stick their pennyworth in, the Aeon is mainly British, whereas the Eon is the American spelling)

(head explodes)