Status report Page 6,102

My first option was Kwik-Fit.
But after waiting twenty minutes for them to find the right part on the computer - then another 20 mins to discover they didn't have it and that it would take three days to order up a set...

Quote: DaButt @ 30th June 2021, 5:39 PM

Getting ready for one last round of day drinking with my son before heading to the airport for the flight home. There are far too many creepy homeless people for me to ever consider living in the center of a large city, but it sure is nice to be within walking distance of dozens of bars and restaurants.

A sketchy street person (possibly a Central American gang member, judging by his neck tattoos) pulled out a huge machete while we walked past yesterday, and I saw my son-in-law switch to cop mode instantly. He had a Glock in his waistband and it wouldn't have ended very well for the machete-bearer had he gotten any closer to my daughter and her baby. Life in the big city!

Must've been scary.

It's bad in parts of London but not as bad as that.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2021, 6:28 PM

Must've been scary.

It's bad in parts of London but not as bad as that.

Nah, I wasn't at all scared. I'm pretty sure that the guy was just clowning for his friends, but if he'd done anything stupid he wouldn't have gotten very far.

I feel safe here, but the police presence is noticeably reduced. Still lots of tourists down by the waterfront.

Seattle (King County) has had 17 homicides this year and it looks like London has had 59. London's population is 4x Seattle's, so I guess they're roughly equal. No data to back it up, but I'll assume that a majority of the deaths were related to gangs and drugs. I don't associate with either, so I feel safe in either city.

As I slip further backwards in my longing for childhood and the comfort that brings - tonight I have made some afties I haven't had for about 70 years, and was surprised I could find it as Tesco has let me down.

Anyway, found a supplier on line for Pink Blancmange. Ummm, looking forward to that. :)

Just chopped up a pile of beef, pork, and pork fat and added a bunch of spices and curing salt. The end result will be 13 pounds of Wisconsin Bratwurst and 13 pounds of Texas Hot Guts (tastes better than it sounds) sausage. I'll grind it after the meat chills, stuff the sausages tomorrow, and I'll smoke the THG Monday.

It's a sausage party up in here.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd July 2021, 2:57 PM

As I slip further backwards in my longing for childhood and the comfort that brings - tonight I have made some afties I haven't had for about 70 years, and was surprised I could find it as Tesco has let me down.

Anyway, found a supplier on line for Pink Blancmange. Ummm, looking forward to that. :)

That was delicious, and so many memories flooded back, tonight it's red jelly and custard, another childhood treat. :)

There is a bakers shop near me that does lunches that remind me of our old school dinners but best of all, they do pink sponge and pink custard. It tastes just like I remember.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd July 2021, 6:11 PM

Just chopped up a pile of beef, pork, and pork fat and added a bunch of spices and curing salt. The end result will be 13 pounds of Wisconsin Bratwurst and 13 pounds of Texas Hot Guts (tastes better than it sounds) sausage. I'll grind it after the meat chills, stuff the sausages tomorrow, and I'll smoke the THG Monday.

It's a sausage party up in here.

We're not allowed sausages in the UK.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th July 2021, 6:25 PM

We're not allowed sausages in the UK.

Huh?

Then what are those things I have in the freezer?

Dead bodies?

Sainsbury's used to do frozen pork and beef sausages. The were quite big but the best ones I've ever had. They stopped doing them.

So I'm open to suggestions of the best you can buy.

Is a butchers in Tenbury any good....

Pork and Bramley apple sausages for me please. Morrissons used to do nice ones then they changed suppliers and the skins are now made from some sort of tarpaulin. GRRRRRRRR

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th July 2021, 3:25 PM

Is a butchers in Tenbury any good....

Bit far, they must be good in Bangor though.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th July 2021, 7:35 PM

Bit far, they must be good in Bangor though.

I had a lovely time the day we went there - a beautiful day, we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know.