Natonal Lampoon

I watched a documentary about this magazine/radio show recently, which was ground-breaking in its time.
But most of their acting talent was stolen by Saturday Night Live, when that kicked off and most of their writing team stolen for movies, sitcoms etc

But they did churn out a couple of great movies on the way, Caddy Shack, Animal House and the Vacation series to name all the best ones.

That era in American comedy is some of my favourite. It's real "comfort" viewing for me as I grew up watching all these movies.

Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, John Belushi, John Candy, to name but some.

SNL harvested a lot of talent from a lot of different places but I suppose it's good because we might not have seen some of these guys if they hadn't.

National Lampoon's is my image/idea of America growing up, as much as Monty Python may have formed an image of UK for Americans.

I'm surprised at how many National Lampoon movies there are. Many were rubbish, but like Lee I have great affection for the good ones. You can't beat a bit of Vacation.

Would "The Blues Brothers" come under this category? Brilliant film! And sooooo funny. Love the opening scenes.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th July 2021, 12:05 PM

Would "The Blues Brothers" come under this category? Brilliant film! And sooooo funny. Love the opening scenes.

No, they shared some cast members but it's not a National Lampoon film. I agree it's very good, though (although it's one of those films I've only started to appreciate in the last few years).