Saucy seaside postcards Page 16

Quote: beaky @ 1st July 2021, 9:33 AM

When a cartoon with women as protagonists appears, it's like a breath of fresh air!

Yes, and, Rex........................?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2021, 3:47 PM

Yes, well known newspaper cartoonist I think - perhaps Beaky could fill us in on that?

As for how many PCs he did I can't help you as they have only just started to appear on the net, and I was surprised as I didn't think cartoonists of his ilk did Saucy Postcards.

Rex Audley, who died some sixteen years ago at a ripe old age, was a gag cartoonist during the golden age, when there were loads of papers and magazines that accepted unsolicited jokes. Some of his cartoons were pretty funny, but the one that Herc posted is abysmal! Misogynistic, badly drawn and - at least for me - without a spark of humour. And I love good seaside postcards - Dr McGill in The Rebel was named in his honour.

Quote: beaky @ 1st July 2021, 9:50 AM

Dr McGill in The Rebel was named in his honour.

Excellent, that's the trivia we are here for.
Now, how can I slip in to a conversation... Huh?

Quote: beaky @ 1st July 2021, 9:50 AM

Rex Audley, who died some sixteen years ago at a ripe old age, was a gag cartoonist during the golden age, when there were loads of papers and magazines that accepted unsolicited jokes. Some of his cartoons were pretty funny, but the one that Herc posted is abysmal! Misogynistic, badly drawn and - at least for me - without a spark of humour. And I love good seaside postcards - Dr McGill in The Rebel was named in his honour.

Thank you for that Beaky - presumably referencing Donald McGill as a homage?

Exactly

Thanks for that. Never occurred to me before - I'll have to look out for that next time I watch the film.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st July 2021, 3:01 PM

Thanks for that. Never occurred to me before - I'll have to look out for that next time I watch the film.

I think he's talking about the UK Gold programme that he penned, not the Tony Hancock film.

Ahh ta, never got to see that as it wasn't in my package - maybe one day.

You should Herc, he modelled Henry on you. And Simon Callow played you.
Now you want to watch it, don't you.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st July 2021, 4:21 PM

You should Herc, he modelled Henry on you. And Simon Callow played you.
Now you want to watch it, don't you.

If you think I'm going to pay extra £x to see one series - I'll wait until it comes on Yesterday or some such. Cool

Two series, if you don't mind!

Quote: beaky @ 1st July 2021, 7:30 PM

Two series, if you don't mind!

Sorry, and two for the price of one! Bargain, and I expect you wouldn't say no to repeat fees. ;)

Just think, I have all that to look forward to when it surfaces somewhere.

Quote: beaky @ 1st July 2021, 9:33 AM

When a cartoon with women as protagonists appears, it's like a breath of fresh air!

On the other hand....................... :$ I think Sid used this one in Carry On Henry when he was ogling Barbara Windsor

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st July 2021, 10:46 PM

Sorry, and two for the price of one! Bargain, and I expect you wouldn't say no to repeat fees. ;)

Just think, I have all that to look forward to when it surfaces somewhere.

Maybe you could get TPTV to show it.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd July 2021, 6:19 PM

Maybe you could get TPTV to show it.

Emailed them about something else a couple of days ago, but heard nothing yet.