Max Wall

Friday 18/6 at 9.50 - 11.05 TPTV...........

Max Wall "It's Got To Be Funny". A must for all fans of this very funny man.

AND.............

I'm absolutely gobsmacked there is no thread for this superb comic, on a British comedy forum that has been going all these years!

Love this man - his arm lengthening routine is brilliant.

Genius.

As a lad I went to a fancy dress competition as Max Wall; an easy dress-up, boots, tights and a jacket.
I practised the walk and while being judged I just kept saying 'good evening' in his voice.

I won lol.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th June 2021, 10:27 AM

As a lad I went to a fancy dress competition as Max Wall; an easy dress-up, boots, tights and a jacket.
I practised the walk and while being judged I just kept saying 'good evening' in his voice.

I won lol.

Do you still wear the tights and the boots?

Oh dear..................my wife had a female friend who used to call at our house, sometimes dressed in tight black bottoms and black DM type boots with white socks just peeping out. I hadn't the heart to tell her what she looked like.

Max Wall "It's Got To Be Funny".

Not at all what I was expecting (more of his act), but nonetheless a fascinating documentary of Max, through interviews, going over his life and how it all went pear shaped, with the tax man, with his Mother, siblings (especially one brother), his two wives and five children, one of whom totally disowned him.

Classic tale of the tears of a clown, but aren't they all, these very, very funny comics.

Dunno if you're aware Herc but Max Wall made a record on Stiff Records, the home of the Damned, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Madness etc, a cover of a Dury song "England's Glory."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0v6b0jE6Y

Quote: Chappers @ 20th June 2021, 7:22 PM

Dunno if you're aware Herc but Max Wall made a record on Stiff Records, the home of the Damned, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Madness etc, a cover of a Dury song "England's Glory."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0v6b0jE6Y

I did actually, but ta nonetheless. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th June 2021, 9:14 AM

Max Wall "It's Got To Be Funny".

Not at all what I was expecting (more of his act), but nonetheless a fascinating documentary of Max

It was originally broadcast in a Max Wall evening after a show recorded at the Garrick. We can but hope TPTV might find that one somewhere!

Quote: Aaron @ 20th June 2021, 11:19 PM

It was originally broadcast in a Max Wall evening after a show recorded at the Garrick. We can but hope TPTV might find that one somewhere!

Absolutely! His fan club have a DVD of an evening with him, but it was expensive, so I wrote to them offering a swap with a DVD I recorded of him in "Target" from 1978 (he was an excellent actor in straight parts, of course) as they seemed keen to obtain any recordings of him, but I never heard a thing back.

Maybe, now the subject has come up again, I think I'll approach them again.......................maybe.