GB News Page 2

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th June 2021, 6:49 PM

It was a deflection and it's mainstream media

Deflecting what?

Quote: DaButt @ 13th June 2021, 8:18 PM

Competition is always a good thing for consumers.

ITV
Channel 4
Channel 5
There's plenty of competion.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th June 2021, 9:33 AM

The BBC headline last night was June 21st cancelled for four weeks.
In fact all news outlets say the same thing.
They then went to Peston interviewing Boris at the G7

Boris said - we have to be cautious and look at the data.
Not! it is cancelled.
It might well be but he has not said it is, only the MSM have spouted this.

I hope GBNews see this too.

It's their lead story.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th June 2021, 9:17 PM

It's their lead story.

Of course it is.
It's the news & it's real - despite what the tin-foil hat brigade think.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th June 2021, 9:11 PM

ITV
Channel 4
Channel 5

Of course, and one more shouldn't hurt, right?

Quote: DaButt @ 13th June 2021, 9:32 PM

We used to have 4 channels of pretty decent programming in this country

Now thanks to more competition we have hundreds of channels of mostly f**king shit

Quote: DaButt @ 13th June 2021, 9:32 PM

Absolutely - personally I have no problem with it.
It won't change anyone's mind because everyone's mind will be already made up.
It's audience will be entirely made up of people who agree with it's position on everything, so I'm sure it will do well.
It'll be a glorious circle-jerk of hate.
Good luck to them.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th June 2021, 9:39 PM

We used to have 4 channels of pretty decent programming in this country

Now thanks to more competition we have hundreds of channels of mostly f**king shit

I still think choice is a good thing. Give the people what they want and let the people decide what they want to watch.

I watch almost zero television (no cable/satellite/OTA) but I won't begrudge a new channel for trying to build something new. Lots of good content is coming from relative upstarts like Amazon, Apple, and Hulu.

It was like infotainment without the information or entertainment. Dan Wootton did have some genuinely impressive white supremacy teeth, but he was pretty much spouting half-baked opinions without backing any of them up with fact or evidence. And his subjects were the same old right-wing triggers you see on Twitter or Sun/Mail columns: Lockdown bad - check, BLM bad - check, Meghan and Harry bad - check. I'm pretty sure trans people will be up for a kicking this week.

It's a news channel no more, no less
If you don't like it, you don't watch.
I don't watch BBC news because of their agenda - one being that they have tried to stop them getting the news pool feed.
Sky have throttled their bandwidth to make their picture poor quality.
What do they fear?
I don't suppose you'll see many Labour MP's on the channel

I turned it on this morning and it was just Andrew Neil from last night on a loop. I thought it was supposed to be 24 hours news/half-baked opinions from Twitter blowhards?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th June 2021, 7:43 AM

It's a news channel no more, no less
If you don't like it, you don't watch.
I don't watch BBC news because of their agenda - one being that they have tried to stop them getting the news pool feed.
Sky have throttled their bandwidth to make their picture poor quality.
What do they fear?

I give up, what do they fear?

Quote: chipolata @ 14th June 2021, 9:50 AM

I give up, what do they fear?

Loss of advertising revenue, I should imagine.
Like all commercial channels, GB News Is just an attempt make money from a certain demographic.
There's no moral anti-woke crusade here, just opportunism.
I think it's broadcast presence will probably wane, and it'll evolve into more of an online, click-baitey sort of thing.
In that limited sphere it'll probably do OK.

Probably every viewer they gain is a loss to other news stations.
They are all paid by advertisers. (ok BBC are not, they are paid by a forced tax, which is worse)

If GB News represent the majority of the countries views, they'll prosper.
It's the majority that counts remember.

But isn't it just radio with pictures?
Still not sure where the money is going to come from.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th June 2021, 9:11 PM

ITV
Channel 4
Channel 5

All of which contract their news out to one same provider, ITN. Competition indeed. Laughing out loud

BBC, ITN, Sky. There were effectively only three British TV news providers. A fourth is going to harm no one.

Quote: chipolata @ 14th June 2021, 6:49 AM

Dan Wootton did have some genuinely impressive white supremacy teeth

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ 14th June 2021, 9:50 AM

I turned it on this morning and it was just Andrew Neil from last night on a loop. I thought it was supposed to be 24 hours news/half-baked opinions from Twitter blowhards?

No - it's explicitly not a 24-hour, rolling news channel. They're doing something subtly different, with each programme more akin to topical discussion rather than just a new presenter fronting the next X-hour block.

I believe the main broadcasting hours are 6am - midnight, with repeats airing overnight.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th June 2021, 10:14 AM

Probably every viewer they gain is a loss to other news stations.

I think their target demographic is people who don't watch existing news channels much because they don't like their style or perceived agenda, rather than explicitly taking viewers from others.

------------------------------------------------------

Anyway. The launch last night rated very strongly, with an average of 262,000 viewers (1.7%) across the hour. Of digital channels, only E4 performed better.

BARB figures reported in Broadcast:

Welcome to GB News peaked in its opening minutes with 336,000 (2.3%), helping it to easily outperform BBC News' audience of 100,000 (0.6%) across the hour and Sky News' 46,000 (0.3%).

The majority of GB News' opening show's audience was male (57%) and aged 65-plus (52%). The bulk (82%) were from the ABC1 demographic.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th June 2021, 10:41 AM

But isn't it just radio with pictures?

Isn't that what they all are.

Give me Alvar Lidell and Frank Phillips anytime . They spoke with authority and you believed every word. Cool