Meet The Wife Page 2

Very good show imo. Not the best comedy in the world, but gentle. Thora Hird's character reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket a bit. It's a shame some episodes are lost, but the ones that aren't are good. Good 1960s sitcom.

Yes. I think Thora was a very good actress. She was around for a long time and I mostly remember her as old or middle aged but I have seen her as a young woman in Went The Day Well?.

Quote: john tregorran @ 17th August 2019, 9:58 PM

Yes. I think Thora was a very good actress. She was around for a long time and I mostly remember her as old or middle aged but I have seen her as a young woman in Went The Day Well?.

Wonderful actress AND BRILLIANT film!! And quite moving in parts, AND I would say that made people more aware of fifth columnists than any government short film or poster. One of my all time favourites as it has also Mervyn Johns in it. Thora pops in many a B&W film on TPTV too and recently I posted a YT clip on another thread from "The Love Match" that she was in.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35173/2/#P1207779

I remember too in a Victoria Wood doc. where she was talking about the one off "Pat and Margaret" and how when playing one scene outside a terraced house Thora, playing a fussy mother, unscripted, started to dust the front garden gate with a feather duster and brought the house down. Such a funny lady in her own right.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th August 2019, 9:43 AM

Wonderful actress AND BRILLIANT film !! And quite moving in parts, AND I would say that made people more aware of fifth columnists than any government short film or poster. One of my all time favourites as it has also Mervyn Johns in it. Thora pops in many a B&W film on TPTV too and recently I posted a YT clip on another thread from "The Love Match" that she was in.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35173/2/#P1207779

I remember too in a Victoria Wood doc. where she was talking about the one off "Pat and Margaret" and how when playing one scene outside a terraced house Thora, playing a fussy mother, unscripted, started to dust the front garden gate with a feather duster and brought the house down. Such a funny lady in her own right.

She was amazing in Lost for Words with Pete Postlethwaite, really emotional performance and brilliant performance by the both of them was really moving and superb to watch.

Just introduced this into my DVD box set rotation, and am thoroughly enjoying this! As someone said, nice gentle sitcom. :)

A friend of mine stole a line from some comedy show and uses it all the time.

If he and his Mrs are seeing someone for the first time, he always says 'meet the wife...Don't laugh'

It's actually her face of 'heard it a 100 times that makes it funnier.

I think Thora and Freddie work so well together - makes me laugh when she puts her parts on in company, looks at him for agreement and he says "Yeeers" in a pseudo posh voice. Laughing out loud

"Brother Tom" episode last night - Very Funny. Laughing out loud

I am really enjoying this sitcom - certainly far more than I thought I would.

No accident that she was Alan Bennett's favourite actress.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th June 2021, 9:21 AM

I am really enjoying this sitcom - certainly far more than I thought I would.

I love it. A real treat of a show. One of those very under-celebrated titles that really should be known as an all-time classic.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th June 2021, 9:21 AM

"Brother Tom" episode last night - Very Funny. Laughing out loud

When she was telling Freddie to stop his brother (who was sleeping on the settee in the lounge) from coming up to the bedroom in the night where they'd put up the bit of skirt his brother had brought home, he said, sarcastically "Do you want me to get me tools out and dismantle the staircase?"

I fell about laughing. Yes, very funny.

There was one other bit in that, that rang a bell, and that is when Freddie got himself trapped in the woman's bedroom, when an old key got stuck and then broken in the door lock. I'm sure I've seen that scenario in another sitcom I watched recently, but for the life of me I cannot recollect it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Watched "The Back" episode last night (last one on Disc 1 - I seem to have got the discs out of order, and there's only 4 in the box-set!!), and yet again Thora shines brightly - SO FUNNY Laughing out loud