The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 718

Always had a soft spot for Blackpool, since the early 50s when my Subbuteo set's little celluloid players wore their tangerine shirts, so many congratulations on their promotion,

And so pleased to see Morecambe make it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st June 2021, 1:02 AM

Always had a soft spot for Blackpool, since the early 50s when my Subbuteo set's little celluloid players wore their tangerine shirts, so many congratulations on their promotion,

And so pleased to see Morecambe make it.

Snap with Subbuteo. They were the closest I could get to Sutton United at the time too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57308898

Aguero says Barcelona are the best club in the world. How does he come about that? Didn't they only finish third in Spain?

Southgate responds to criticism after picking 4 right backs - 'I would have taken more right backs!' I don't doubt for one second that you would you stubborn prick. I bet you'd play them all in the same team as well. :S

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st June 2021, 8:07 PM

Southgate responds to criticism after picking 4 right backs - 'I would have taken more right backs!' I don't doubt for one second that you would you stubborn prick. I bet you'd play them all in the same team as well. :S

The thing is they are some of our best players.

He can accommodate two as Walker often plays as one of a 3 man defence and then one as a wing back.

One for you Chappers.
I was talking to my friend yesterday about football - he is a Bradford City supporter.
I said I was glad Blackpool were promoted to our division, it means a good day out there this next season.
He was sad that Morecombe had been promoted as he enjoyed a day at the seaside too.
He said 'instead we have Sutton Utd.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd June 2021, 8:01 AM

One for you Chappers.
I was talking to my friend yesterday about football - he is a Bradford City supporter.
I said I was glad Blackpool were promoted to our division, it means a good day out there this next season.
He was sad that Morecombe had been promoted as he enjoyed a day at the seaside too.
He said 'instead we have Sutton Utd.

No sea here. And they've lost Southend and Grimsby too.

I really don't understand the point of Lyngard and Ward-Prowse playing tonight. They might be good players but as they're not in the squad it seems pointless.

Beyond me too???

I think one of them will be in now because TAA's picked up another injury. It seems half the squad are carrying knocks of some kind. Lingard did pretty well and he has a great cheery attitude. I think Southgate will be secretly sighing in relief that he's got a chance to right his wrong.

Is this going to be the Euros thread - or are we starting a separate one?
Listened on the radio and was rather amused that Chris Waddle kept saying how shit the Austrians were - yet we only managed to scrape one goal past them.
That doesn't bode well.

It never bodes well for England but we always have hope over experience.

Can't wait for the Sunday after next...

Me too.
Love the Euros.
Mainly because the South Americans aren't playing.

Wife's not impressed that I have ordered a few Heineken 5L kegs for the Euro's
I've not told her that a few mates are coming round too.... I'm taking a long run up with it.
There's even a possibility of a new telly. Nearly pressed the 'buy now' button already this morning.

Very strange to my mind. The last friendly before a tournament and basically we've sent out a B team.

Johnstone, White, Godfrey. I'd never even heard of them before a week ago. And picking 4 right backs for the squad (one already injured} and he hasn't picked any of them.

So what is his first choice team? Maybe 2 or 3 of these might be in it. I suppose he's trying to get them game time being very inexperienced. The Manchester City and Chelsea players have still not yet featured. Maybe they will in the last half hour or so.

Gareth Southgate has said the taking of the knee will continue through the Euro's.
And supporters have said booing will continue through the Euro's.

I see both sides of the argument and it's reaching an impasse.
Personally, I think they can take a knee for their beliefs and the crowd can boo (it's only for a few seconds)
But the condemnation both ways is becoming divisive and ridiculous.
I thought part of the taking of the knee gesture was to stop that.