Desert Island Discs

I'm just looking at the DID section of the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs

Fascinating stuff especially when you start searching.

Black Sabbath have never been taken, Quo only once, The Beatles 213 times and Mozart beats Beethoven by about 50 or so appearances.

12 times for Hoffnung's Oxford Union speech :D

And I wonder if Hugh Grant stands by some of his selections ?

I listened to Mark Gatiss's new one today.
Most interesting!

How can you play records on a desert island?

A desert island, azure waters, hot sun, a cool breeze blowing, a chapter or two of PG Wodehouse, a nicely chilled Dry Martini Cocktail on the sherry table next to the deck lounger... it beggars belief no one wants Black Sabbath!

I was very pleased when Danny Baker chose "What a Mouth" by Tommy Steele.
I'd only just heard the song for the first time a few days before, and it was a special moment when I heard it again.

From the Department of Old Thread Revival

Just been listening to the 2010 repeat episode on R4 + of Sandie Shaw, and not once was sandy shore mentioned.

I wonder whether Kirsty Young did that on purpose, in a similar vein to Ardal O'Hanlon, when he said he would love to have a chat show, invite Neil Armstrong on it and not once mention the moon.

Kirsty Young...........

*crosses legs*

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th May 2021, 12:27 PM

Kirsty Young...........

*crosses legs*

Does she?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2021, 11:36 AM

From the Department of Old Thread Revival

Just been listening to the 2010 repeat episode on R4 + of Sandie Shaw, and not once was sandy shore mentioned.

When was this? I'd like to hear it. Is it easy to access?

BBC sounds app

Just search desert island discs

What's the format to this show? Is there like categories or is it just a free for all?

Quote: Lee @ 31st May 2021, 10:10 PM

What's the format to this show? Is there like categories or is it just a free for all?

I'm sure that they used to play the records in their entirety but nowadays they only play short excerpts.

Well where's the fun in that?

Quote: Lee @ 31st May 2021, 10:10 PM

Quote: Lee @ 31st May 2021, 10:56 PM

Well where's the fun in that?

A celebrity selects eight records they would like to have with them if they were alone, stuck on a desert island. Great format that has been a flagship programme of the Beeb's since 1942!! Along the way, the interviewer asks them about their life.

The fun, as you call it, is to simply see what their taste in music is. I think it's a brilliant programme.

Oh you know what? I think I have listened to the occasional episode. I seem to remember Frank Skinner or maybe even David Baddiel? I don't know, either way I think I might have to start listening.

Herc, do you have eight you could think of?

Some of them have been very revelatory like Ian Wright's, like a broadcasted therapy session that everyone seemed to enjoy. John McEnroe's was fun in the loud and garrulous way you'd expect. I'd really love Bob Dylan to do it but if he couldn't turn up for the Nobel Peace prize people I doubt he will for Roy Plumley.