Sarah Silverman's "Sorry" Speech

Hi All,

First post. Yesterday I watched a clip from Sarah Silverman's podcast and she apologised for something she said about Paris Hilton years and years ago at an award ceremony. She seemed genuinely upset at her own gag as Hilton, unbeknown to Silverman, was in the audience. Silverman saw Hilton's shocked reaction and thus came the regret.
I've seen more comedians apologise over the past few years at things they've said or done in the past to offend. I thought it was a comedian's nature to make fun of people. I'm not saying they tear a strip off everyone else but we'll all be reduced to knock knock jokes eventually if this carries on. Even Keith Lemon (Leigh Francis) apologised for his colour-face impression of Trisha. He was actually crying on camera. Just learn from it and move on, don't pop to your local hardware shop and buy a length of neck-stretchingly strong rope. I don't agree with sexual assault, obviously, and there are comedians that have been called out on that issue (Louis CK).
Maybe it's just me. I like my comedy like my horror, shocking and always looking for the next big surprise. Scotland

In my opinion, honest apologies that come from the heart are a good thing. Apologies that are clearly influenced/demanded by self-preservation instincts, or by political correctness, are a bad thing. An example of the latter is wrestler/actor John Cena's pitiful apology to China for calling Taiwan a country.

The Cena case is more hard headed business and good old fashioned capotalism than anything. He's star of a massive franchise that they want to perform in all territories so they don't want anything that could tarnish the cash cow.

And hello new guy.

Quote: chipolata @ 28th May 2021, 9:29 PM

The Cena case is more hard headed business and good old fashioned capotalism than anything. He's star of a massive franchise that they want to perform in all territories so they don't want anything that could tarnish the cash cow.

Sure, but that doesn't make it any less disingenuous. We all need money to survive, but grovelling to a brutal regime for tens of millions of dollars is vomit-inducing. I've Cena 'nuff of that crap to last me a lifetime.

And hello new guy!