The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel

Don't know if anyones watching - but I though it deserves a thread.
Slightly late to the party, in as much as it started in 2017 - but as a 4th Season has just been confirmed, it's still pretty current.
If you're a fan of mile-a-minute New York Jewish comedy dialogue, very much in the Neil Simon vein, then this is essential viewing.
I think it's someof the best comedy writing out there at the moment.
Just finished Season Two and it has yet to flag.
And it looks fantastic
Anyone else a fan?

I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, but got bored with 3, I'm afraid. I'll not spoil it, but I just felt they'd exhausted the concept a bit and started to shoe-horn in other issues and storylines a bit clumsily. I'd also enjoyed Lennie Bruce's presence up until then, but I don't think they utilise him that well after that.

The Jewish domesticity and Dirty Dancing-esque holiday camp were great in the first two seasons, and Abe is a hilarious character. I just felt it was missing that in 3.

Do you think Sophie is maybe based on Sophie Tucker?

I wrote my masters thesis on American, Jewish female comedians and MMS came out the same year I graduated... Spooooooky....

Abe is fantastic,
I have heard mixed reactions to Season 3 - but will soldier on.
Don't know enough about Sophie Tucker to say.

Quote: EllieS @ 27th April 2021, 10:32 AM

Do you think Sophie is maybe based on Sophie Tucker?

Phyllis Diller perhaps?

Quote: EllieS @ 27th April 2021, 10:32 AM

I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, but got bored with 3, I'm afraid.

Reserved judgment until I finished Season 3 - and I'm not sure I agree.
Yes, they broadened the scope little - and indulged themselves in slightly more elaborate set pieces.
But I quite enjoyed that.
I was worried when you said you felt Abe was side-lined - but, actualy I thought he got some great stuff - especially when they moved in with the in-laws.
The dialogue was still whip-smart and it still looked fantastic.
The only sub-plot I could have done without was, ironically, the Sophie Lennon line.
It seemed to veer into sillier territory.
I can understand why they'd want to keep the character - but once the 'feud' was over I thought her story had run itself out.
Also understand that Susie M needed her own sub - but I would have preferred more of her gambling/family life (which, in the end was more pivotal to the story.)
Still very sad to have it end - crossing fingers they can keep it going for the 4th.

I confess I didn't actually finish series 3 - managed about 3 or 4 episodes, I think. This was at least a year ago, though, so my memory of it is a bit hazy. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Abe was underused - I more meant I preferred it when most of the action took place in New York and in their apartment. I hated what they did with the relationship between Lennie and Midge, but as I said I don't know how it pans out because I gave up on it. Midge was really starting to annoy me as a character, for some reason, as well.

Season 4 up and running.
A fantastic set-piece on a Ferris wheel in Ep 1.
Still loving this - pure escapism and marvellous quick-fire dialogue.