The general pop/rock - music thread Page 220

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th May 2021, 6:33 PM

When cretins review albums - part 57

New Order - Republic

"my favourite New Order album
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 July 2010
I have just recently re-discovered this after many years, and it is now my favourite New Order album. When it first came out in '93 (I think) I probably dismissed it as being too 'lightweight'. It's true that it's not as sublime as some of their earlier work, but I now think this is a great New Order album. It holds together as a whole album, with no dud tracks. The weakest track for me is the opener, the single 'Regret', with those awful lines 'I would like a place I could call my own, have a conversation on the telephone'. All in all a good example of NO's work (and also a bit like early Electronic). Great electro-pop, a good blend of the melancholic and the uplifting, and really well-produced with a well-balanced lush, sound. Also Barney's singing is better on this album than on any other New Order album. The cover is a bit naff, although more interesting inside, and suggestive to me of a sort of Koyanasquatsi theme (!) If you like New Order then 'Republic' is essential for your collection."

You sir, are an idiot

I was going to say why - but then I saw that word.

Not written by MM by any chance was it?

Nah he hates that album

It's a pile of shite

F**king hate that album. It was the triple whammy of Substance, Technique, Electronic that won me over - then Repubelick, endless rererererehashes and Raise the Pisser and things would, in the name of my ex, never be the same again.
Republic is like Mel C. Something I want to put to bed forever.
The best review I ever read of this puddle of pooh was http://selectmagazinescans.monkeon.co.uk/showpage.php?file=wp-content/uploads/2018/09/albums3.jpg - I couldn't put it better myself. well I could if I wanted to.
What did John Lennon say to Ian Curtis? I know you're depressed, but nothing to get hung about.
What did John Lennon say to Ian Curtis the next day? Let me take you down...

New Order are fine, but they're no Monaco.

New Order have made a handful of good singles, two of which (Blue Monday and True Faith/1963) they've released three times. The rest is just hype.

I have Truth Faith on 12" vinyl

It has a pretty leaf on the cover

I had the remix 12" too. It had lots of pretty leaves https://www.amazon.it/Order-Faith-Remix-Inner-FAC183R/dp/B00524VLLG It's more fun collecting New Order vinyl than listening to it.

I also have Round and Round on 12" vinyl too

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's about it

It's a great song to sing along too

Plus I have a better voice than Sumner (who doesn't?)

I just can't help thinking
What you've done to me
You built a wall of love and tore it right down
In front of me
And you think you know what's going on
You keep telling me that I am wrong
I don't care about what you do
'Cause if you mess with me I'll get rid of you
The picture you see is no portrait of me
It's too real to be shown to someone I don't know
And it's driving me wild
It makes me act like a child
You think I am crazy, but what can I do
You waste your time, like my money
It ain't so funny, but it's true
(Don't waste my money, baby)
Now you can't tell me what's going on
And that I am weak while you are strong
What is it you need, that makes your heart bleed
Do you really know? 'Cause it doesn't show
And it's driving me wild
And it's driving me wild

I know but 32 years on the novelty has gone (see what I did there?).

I had pretty much all the vinyl from 1979 to 1996, when I stopped cos it was getting impractical, I was losing interest, and London started churning out ripoffs. I'm convinced it was more fun tracking stuff down than actually playing it.

PS I think the above review is a hoax. Everyone knows Regret is the only decent track.

But Lowlife is their best album. Brilliant from start to finish (almost!).

Just A Great Album
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 4 July 2008
There's always a stink in the air when die-hard fanatical followers of a band attempt to control what is thought about the albums that the band release.

While those unfortunate few construct a melancholy legend within which to wallow us people who walk around in sunlight are able to make up our own minds.

Republic is a great album filled with great power and great songs.

This album is a collection of tracks that represent New Order at a particular point in time. It's the result of a logical progression and is a wholly successful release. The songwriting occasionally touches on perfection. This is as it should be. They worked very hard and they really got there.

The god-awful notion that people should attach some holy significance to the memory of Ian Curtis is weak and messianic. Joy Division and New Order were entertainers. No more, no less. Pay your money and you can hear them play.

There's nothing truly divine going on.

When there's a group of damp-trousered men who worship at the temple of types like Ian Curtis and Kurt Cobain, disregard their pathetic attempts to tell you what's cool.

This is great album. That's all you need to know.

So clear that nonsense away. Clear those silly fanatics away.

Make up your own mind.

....I did - it's horse shit

Quote: Chappers @ 13th May 2021, 5:39 PM

But Lowlife is their best album. Brilliant from start to finish (almost!).

Is this a joke? The first side slays but four tracks is a cop-out (Bernard: 'We'd just do enough to fill an album and then f**k off down the pub') and what they do to the Purrf**k Kiss makes Razormaid sound like Horny and Lips-on. The second side is 1. Snoozeworthy 2. Mediocre 3. A grown man talking about wanking (yeah, I know, but I'm not getting paid for It) 4. A mess. The End. Not exactly The White Album.

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th May 2021, 7:08 PM

Republic is a great album filled with great power and great songs.

And THAT'S where I stopped reading... Sorry, THAT'S the price of love.

Anniversary of Ian Curtis' death. He must've been pretty hung up.

Ed Sheeran has said his baby daughter cries when he sings his songs to her... Come on, they can't be that bad. Only nine months old, but still recognises total f**king shit when she hears it.