Countdown Page 6

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 7th December 2020, 11:46 PM

Firstly RIP Des O' Conner of course

and sad to see my close personal showbiz friend Nick Hewer is set to step down

Connor - but I liked the sentiment. My Dad is now in a care home - cheap as chips but on a Millionaires' Row as roads go. I did that for him. He is still waving his fists on occasion but mostly plays with the cat nicely. Which he calls a dog. Also he wants to kill my mother. Anyhow, we were always close actually. I did say to the place when they asked me to provide notes for his obituary- he is in stunning physical health at 90, far better teeth than I have, so we anticipate that is about a decade off - that they may not know it but Des for a long time lived just up that road. One, Two, Three O'Leary.

Anyhow, my main point was that Des had beaten my father and his mates into second place in Brian Michie's talent competition at Tooting Granada in the early 1950s. He didn't have a grudge but what I do think is that there may have been a non white judge on the panel on the day as my father's troupe played ukuleles in innocent black face. Des was boringly as white as a bleeding ghost. Any'ow, Dad in later life went on to major on his organ, great fingers, while wearing a selection of strange hats and funny Father Christmas ties. Some of the latter did a sort of ring when I pressed their buttons.

I suppose the way he and I ultimately bonded was via my briefing of Glenda Jackson who gives me as much hope as David Hockney does, being an ancient smoker. There she was in Eland House, Victoria - was it '97? - in her sealed room paid for by the general population. I was bloody nervous as she was my first entry. And she was truly lovely. Entirely put me at my ease when we talked about Morecambe and Wise and how they had taken the piss out of someone who had beaten my father. To be frank, it is so long ago and a bit of a blur - though true. What I do recall as I walked past the Army and Navy Stores was I felt that the experience must have been similar to shall we say that of being verbally post coital. I really floated.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 7th December 2020, 11:46 PM

Firstly RIP Des O' Conner of course

and sad to see my close personal showbiz friend Nick Hewer is set to step down

Why don't you take over? You'd obviously be a better presenter than a contestant!

It will be sad to see my old showbiz pal Nick Hewer depart

did you know
As Nick has been on Countdown for over 10 years he is eligible for an Anagram from the Queen

I'm sorry Steve but the best I could do is eenuqeth and hetqeneu. If the producers can get him a better anagram from "the queen" good luck to them.

Quote: Will Cam @ 13th December 2020, 7:48 PM

I'm sorry Steve but the best I could do is eenuqeth and hetqeneu. If the producers can get him a better anagram from "the queen" good luck to them.

I struggled too.

Nick Hewer recording his last shows this week
So the shows later in the year will be hosted by Anne Robinson
There was a fair swathe of support fro Colin Murray to take over full time, but I reckon Anne will be decent

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 4th May 2021, 10:58 PM

So the shows later in the year will be hosted by Anne Robinson

She still alive?

Oh and RIP to Marcel Stellman the creator of the original French version which inspired Countdown
Who I had the pleasure to meet a couple of years back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56978015

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 5th May 2021, 12:12 AM

Oh and RIP to Marcel Stellman the creator of the original French version which inspired Countdown
Who I had the pleasure to meet a couple of years back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56978015

RIP.

And Carol? Oh dear. You used to be so attractive.

And Carol Vorderman the first host? Where do these people get their information?

At 77 Nick Hewer feels he needs to make way for a younger host, he's being replaced by Anne Robinson (76) :|

Farewell Nick old pal
I haven't watched it yet as I'm a few shows behind but I can guess who wins the game
Will watch later to see his send off, my favourite Countdown host of all
Due to Covid he had to spend time at home and decided he preferred it ( I can understand where he is coming from)

Anne Robinson can't be much more annoying than Colin Murray was so she should be bearable

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 25th June 2021, 11:19 PM

Farewell Nick old pal
I haven't watched it yet as I'm a few shows behind but I can guess who wins the game
Will watch later to see his send off, my favourite Countdown host of all

Well I got that wrong
But I did actually help the actual winner train for the finals by playing him online and didn't lose all the games either
So well Done Adam sorry for doubting you , and you're welcome

I used to love Countdown but since Cats does it haven't really been able to take it seriously. Especially Susie Dent.

Champion of Champions on at the moment
Just starting the quarter finals including a husband and wife game later today.
Worth a watch as the standard is incredible

Also Colin Murray has been made the permanent host

Some geezer came up to me and said that he also hosts another long running show
But that's fighting talk where I come from

Ever since I saw Cats does Countdown I find the original is too tame. Also I'm hardly ever in at the time.