Who is this?

From David Mitchell's book "Back Story" I have just finished reading, and for the life of me I cannot think of who he is talking about - anyone any ideas?

Scanned paragraph ; -

What's the context?

I can only think of Piers Morgan or someone from TOWIE/Made in Chelsea. I think David would draw the line at calling a woman a twat. So, not Gemma Collins. Danny Dyer is pretty awful and unfunny, too.

For me, the ultimate 'witless twat' whose fame I don't understand is Michael McIntyre, but he's not often on panel shows.

Quote: EllieS @ 1st May 2021, 12:19 PM

What's the context?

I can only think of Piers Morgan or someone from TOWIE/Made in Chelsea. I think David would draw the line at calling a woman a twat. So, not Gemma Collins. Danny Dyer is pretty awful and unfunny, too.

For me, the ultimate 'witless twat' whose fame I don't understand is Michael McIntyre, but he's not often on panel shows.

He was talking about how he initially got involved with panel shows, and "threw" this paragraph in about someone he clearly doesn't like, who I assume he had cross swords with on a panel show early on in his career.

Yes, Morgan is a prime candidate, but doesn't appear on panel shows regularly ("popping up endlessly")? Know nothing about TOWIE or MIC.

And yes, Danny Dyer is a cretin - can't stand the bloke.

He did clash with Danny Dyer at an awards ceremony, apparently. Probably due to the latter's fundamental lack of a sense of humour:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/watch-eastenders-danny-dyers-foul-mouthed-4186638

On a slightly related note, the funniest example of an unfunny (or unintentionally funny) person on a comedy panel show is Donny Tourette on Nevermind The Buzzcocks - there's a montage of it on YouTube and it's absolute gold.

Tom Allen for me.

Here's more of the quote for context:

Yes, my Does Doug Know? performance must have been terrible. Panel shows are hungry beasts and always looking for fresh meat, more panellists - I know that now. But whatever I did on that show led the entire industry to conclude that such programmes were not for me, a conclusion that thankfully it subsequently revoked. Not mentioning any names, but just think of the most annoying person who keeps popping up endlessly on panel shows (apart from me). Think of the one you find most grating and annoying (which, actually, is unlikely to be me in your case unless you have a masochistic taste in books). The most awful witless twat whose continued employment you cannot understand. Done it? (I wonder if we're thinking of the same person?) Anyway, I must have been worse than him (and it is a him, let's be honest. Hardly any women are allowed on panel shows so the ones that break through tend to be pretty good).

I'm not sure he's talking about anyone in particular. It sounds like it's just a hypothetical to illustrate the point (in a hyperbolic way) about how bad he must have been to not be invited back on panel shows for years.

This seems to be the very episode he's talking about, so you can probably decipher it from that:

https://youtu.be/aJnYHa6Spw0

Who's the guy in yellow who keeps standing up? His name is on the tip of my tongue. Could be any of them, though, I suppose.

Quote: EllieS @ 1st May 2021, 1:49 PM

This seems to be the very episode he's talking about, so you can probably decipher it from that:

https://youtu.be/aJnYHa6Spw0

Who's the guy in yellow who keeps standing up? His name is on the tip of my tongue. Could be any of them, though, I suppose.

Rhys Thomas.

Quote: jsg @ 1st May 2021, 1:56 PM

Rhys Thomas.

I think maybe it's him - David doesn't look too impressed. I don't think he means it generically - I think what he's saying is that he can't believe he had a more successful career than him to begin with. Needless to say, etc, etc...

Quote: fasty @ 1st May 2021, 12:51 PM

Tom Allen for me.

Ditto - what a leering little wanker. WHY anyone thinks he is funny is beyond me.

Quote: EllieS @ 1st May 2021, 2:07 PM

.........................I don't think he means it generically...............

Yes. He clearly is talking about a specific person.

Well, we're compiling list of likely moronic candidates........................... :D

Quote: jsg @ 1st May 2021, 1:29 PM

I'm not sure he's talking about anyone in particular. It sounds like it's just a hypothetical to illustrate the point (in a hyperbolic way) about how bad he must have been to not be invited back on panel shows for years.

Agreed. He'd otherwise surely phrase it completely differently, perhaps even recount a specific story, about "someone who shall remain nameless".

But it's the "I wonder if we're thinking of the same person"...

Quote: EllieS @ 2nd May 2021, 12:08 AM

Exactly

Quote: EllieS @ 2nd May 2021, 12:08 AM

Reads as part of the joke to me. Besides, everyone is going to have a least favourite.

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd May 2021, 10:42 AM

Besides, everyone is going to have a least favourite.

That's the point he's making - there are this group of people who crop up and we all wonder why they got the gig.
Don't think it's anyone in particular - just bumping up the word count.