Fawlty Towers Page 16

A company I used to work for had a notice board thingy in reception with stick on metal letters

For years I was the shadowy figure that repeatedly mixed the letters up into amusing and sometimes offensive ways

That secret goes to my grave...

MWAHAHAAHAA

offensive and sometimes amusing

would be more likely :)

I saw a van the other day with "O'Reilly Builders" on the side.

Not sure if they would be even aware.

Quote: chipolata @ 28th April 2021, 3:22 PM

Maybe Cleese was slyly mocking Graham Chapman by featuring a pipe smoker in the background. In the same way that the pushy American obsessed with Waldorf Salad in another episode could have been a vicious attack on Terry Gilliam.

I always saw it as a veiled attack on his ex wives including soon to be ex Connie Booth who I believe were all Americans, mainly because he refers to Americans as being obsessed with money. And she barely features in this ep.

Great episode but I don't know why he didn't criticise his use of cutlery as the man who inspired Fawlty did of Gilliam. I'm always begging for him to do it when I watch it. Was on again tonight. Anyone else ever noticed the continuity error about two thirds in?

I think you're reading far too much into a small detail, especially as this was years before DVDs and Easter eggs.
Personally my least favourite ep is the Yankee One, though most people go for the Anniversary.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th May 2021, 7:12 AM

I think you're reading far too much into a small detail, especially as this was years before DVDs and Easter eggs.

I think you're reading too much into us reading too much into things. Fawlty Towers belongs to us now, to interpret how we like.

The Young Ones was the first series to add that kind of touch as it coincided with vids. I'm not convinced Fawlty Towers was made with the same mentality.
I'm going to stop this conversation now. It's too silly.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th May 2021, 12:30 PM

The Young Ones was the first series to add that kind of touch as it coincided with vids. I'm not convinced Fawlty Towers was made with the same mentality.
I'm going to stop this conversation now. It's too silly.

It's not a conversation!

It's just a good sitcom. Nothing deep about it.

"You're looking very spruce this morning, Major"

"St George's Day, old boy"