Howerd's Hour

Watched this last night off one of the 'ABC Nights In' DVDs from 1968, and surprised how lack lustre it was. I really struggled to get a laugh out of this, which was more surprising as it was written by Eric Sykes.

So, we had Frankie, sitting in a theatre dressing room thinking back to what it must have been like in one of those honky tonk saloon bars during the Klondike gold rush where they had a stage for the turns, "starring" Hattie Jacques as mein host, and Sandie Shaw (who sang live) and Scott Walker (who mimed) and Patrick Wymark as a drunken cowboy, with Frankie as some sort of chancer.

I have to say, it was poor - born out by the fact, maybe, that Frankie kept repeating a "joke" if it didn't get a laugh the first time - they didn't laugh Frankie 'cos it wasn't funny.

Yes it's an odd one! I enjoy it because it's Frankie, but the saloon sequence plays out for far too long. Nice idea, some good jokes, but stretched to breaking point.

When would it be televised?

I could probably find the Sandie bit on You Tube.

I'm still available for her.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th April 2021, 5:54 PM

When would it be televised?

What then? Dunno, I was watching it on DVD - if you had read my post properly, old man.

And of course all the information about its original broadcast is just a click away! :-)

After reading the above comments, I found this on YouTube (minus all the songs) and I totally loved every minute of it. It's just over 42 minutes without songs or adverts and I'd happily watch it again.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th April 2021, 11:32 PM

What then? Dunno, I was watching it on DVD - if you had read my post properly, old man.

Yes I did read it properly.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 29th April 2021, 11:28 AM

After reading the above comments, I found this on YouTube (minus all the songs) and I totally loved every minute of it. It's just over 42 minutes without songs or adverts and I'd happily watch it again.

That's more helpful!

When I google it gives me Russell Howard's Hour! And I did spell Howerd correctly!!!!!

Quote: Chappers @ 29th April 2021, 6:10 PM

Yes I did read it properly.

:P

Quote: alison blunderland @ 30th April 2021, 12:26 PM

Video unavailable!

Right found it by putting Frankie at the start.