TV Reminders Page 5

Quote: Chappers @ 19th March 2021, 5:46 PM

Was it Frankie Lane who sang the theme to Champion the Wonder Horse?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2021, 12:28 AM

Yes, an uncredited (surprising) Frankie Laine.

Didn't mention it previous, but now we're picking people up on spelling again............................... :P

TV Reminders NOT to watch.

What are the gems in the BBC crown tonight?

Citizen Khan and Mother Brown's Boys. It shows what it's come down to. Two racial stereotypes albeit played by the writers taking the piss out of their own people.

But basically a load of crap.

Two worth giving a look.

A pleasant gentle comedy that we Brits do (or did) so well with "Laxdale Hall", which I reviewed last September :-

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35777/

On TPTV again this Monday 19th at 8.00 AM

And, if you want to see Alastair Sim in his very first film, which has mixed reviews on the IMDb, but I thought when I saw it many years ago (and made a DVD of) was very good; but then, I'm a mega fan of Mr. Sim and I will certainly be recording it for viewing later. It's only about an hour long.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026939/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The Riverside Murder (1935)

On TPTV Friday 23rd April at 2.25 AM

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th April 2021, 10:48 AM

And, if you want to see Alastair Sim in his very first film, which has mixed reviews on the IMDb, but I thought when I saw it many years ago (and made a DVD of) was very good; but then, I'm a mega fan of Mr. Sim and I will certainly be recording it for viewing later. It's only about an hour long.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026939/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The Riverside Murder (1935)

On TPTV Friday 23rd April at 2.25 [b]AM

I could certainly see the future police sergeant from the Inspector Hornleigh films in Alastair Sims' portrayal of the police sergeant in this film. Although no Gordon Harker to complement him in this one.

:)

If you are into The Twilight Zone, and such like - the original type of this series (pre Zone etc.) "One Step Beyond" is being shown from S1 E1, from 1959 starting on Tuesday 11/5 at 6 pm on TPTV.

Stars such as Warren Beatty, William Shatner and even our own Alfred Burke** make guest appearances.

** Watching him in the "Public Eye" series, currently. V Good.

TPTV If you missed it the first time or want to see any background on the ubiquitous Sam Kydd, they are repeating the "Remembering Sam Kydd" on Tues 8/6 5 to 6 pm. I seem to remember his son was the prime interviewee.
Good doc.!

TPTV Wed. 9/6 12.20 to 12.30 pm. Odd little doc. this one, and quite hilarious when you think about it - "How to Refuel Your 2 Stroke Motorcycle" from 1940, starring, wait for it...........................................of all people Charles Hawtrey.
I'll watch it again. :D

And finally...............

This was a film I'd often seen clips of and finally got to watch it about a year ago. Funny and poignant "Brassed Off".

Pete Postlethwaite and Stephen Tompkinson, for special mention, as they brought me to tears when I watched it.

Superb film, the likes of which only we Brits can make. Highly recommended 5 Stars!!

Film 4 Mon. 7/6 11pm

Friday 18/6 at 9.50 - 11.05 TPTV...........

Max Wall "It's Got To Be Funny". A must for all fans of this very funny man.

If you only watch one of the Laurel and Hardy from the series on TPTV coming up - watch "County Hospital" at 5.40 this afternoon.

A masterpiece in comic acting and timing. Has my in hysterics no matter how many times I see it.

"Hard boiled eggs and nuts"

Here's one for your diary (the mind boggles) - "The World of Budgerigars" with Sid James, from 1976

TPTV Sunday 7 - 7:20 pm.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th July 2021, 3:19 PM

Here's one for your diary (the mind boggles) - "The World of Budgerigars" with Sid James, from 1976

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPqilBRyF5s

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th July 2021, 3:19 PM

A previously "lost" short film that was found only last year and has not been shown on TV since. Thought to be the last footage of Sid James, having been filmed in 1976, prior to his death on 26 April of that year.

Chasing birds to the last.........................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd July 2021, 12:06 PM

If you only watch one of the Laurel and Hardy from the series on TP
TV coming up - watch "County Hospital" at 5.40 this afternoon.

A masterpiece in comic acting and timing. Has my in hysterics no matter how many times I see it.

"Hard boiled eggs and nuts"

Or, as Galton & Simpson reprised it, "a packet of crisps and a pint of winkles".

Sky Arts Thursday 12 August 9pm (Freeview channel 11 I'm told): Comedy Legends - Barry Cryer pays tribute to Hattie Jacques.