How To Write For Breaking The News

Hi all, now that Newsjack has finished for another series I was looking for other shows that accept submissions from the public and noticed that a lot of writers on twitter post jokes that they have sent to Breaking the News.

The shows topical jokes seem to have a similar style to the one-liners in Newsjack but I can't find an email address for submissions.

This makes me think that they may only accept material from writers who already have some credits to their name. From reading this forum there seems to be some really good joke writers on here so I was wondering if any of you submit stuff to them and what their entry requirements are?

I have got a couple of one-liners on Newsjack before but am definitely not an experienced writer so it would be great if I could keep improving my writing by sending material to this show as well.

Thanks very much,

DDP

Quote: DDP @ 24th March 2021, 7:09 PM

Hi all, now that Newsjack has finished for another series I was looking for other shows that accept submissions from the public and noticed that a lot of writers on twitter post jokes that they have sent to Breaking the News.

The shows topical jokes seem to have a similar style to the one-liners in Newsjack but I can't find an email address for submissions.

This makes me think that they may only accept material from writers who already have some credits to their name. From reading this forum there seems to be some really good joke writers on here so I was wondering if any of you submit stuff to them and what their entry requirements are?

I have got a couple of one-liners on Newsjack before but am definitely not an experienced writer so it would be great if I could keep improving my writing by sending material to this show as well.

Thanks very much,

DDP

Don't know who the person to ask about this is (although there are definitely several people on here who will!) but just wondering if you knew about The Skewer? It's another Radio 4 show that is open submission. It's quite different to NewsJack/BTN(/anything on the radio at the moment, really!) -definitely worth a listen to see if it's the kind of thing you'd like to write for. Again I think a few people on here have had success with it.

There's an interview with creator Jon Holmes here with more info, don't know if they're currently looking for stuff but it is available on BBC Sounds now so have a listen/follow on Twitter/email and ask:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/pro/inside_track/write-for-the-skewer/

I've only skimmed this, but it says they've got a 12 week run from January, so... Yes? There's also the email address for sending ideas:

https://weareunusual.net/skewer-contributor-guide

I listened to a bit of one episode and it's really not my thing at all - maybe in a 'nicer' year (2016, perhaps) but soundbites of current politicians and events turn my stomach a bit. Good luck to them, though.

Edit: Sorry, this is about The Skewer, not Breaking The News

Quote: kate to the party @ 25th March 2021, 11:24 AM

Don't know who the person to ask about this is (although there are definitely several people on here who will!) but just wondering if you knew about The Skewer? It's another Radio 4 show that is open submission. It's quite different to NewsJack/BTN(/anything on the radio at the moment, really!) -definitely worth a listen to see if it's the kind of thing you'd like to write for. Again I think a few people on here have had success with it.

There's an interview with creator Jon Holmes here with more info, don't know if they're currently looking for stuff but it is available on BBC Sounds now so have a listen/follow on Twitter/email and ask:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/pro/inside_track/write-for-the-skewer/

Yes I was thinking about sending some stuff into The Skewer but when I'm writing for Newsjack it seems to take all my time so I never got round to it.

Thanks for posting the link, I'll definitely have a go at it if they're still accepting submissions.

Quote: EllieS @ 25th March 2021, 1:32 PM

I've only skimmed this, but it says they've got a 12 week run from January, so... Yes? There's also the email address for sending ideas:

https://weareunusual.net/skewer-contributor-guide

I listened to a bit of one episode and it's really not my thing at all - maybe in a 'nicer' year (2016, perhaps) but soundbites of current politicians and events turn my stomach a bit. Good luck to them, though.

Edit: Sorry, this is about The Skewer, not Breaking The News

Yeah I've listened to a couple of episodes and I'm not sure if I'll be very successful trying to find stuff that fits their style but I think it's always worth having a go as there are so few opportunities for new writers to get their material on air.

They send out a couple of briefs each week for Breaking the News and ask that submissions are sent to btn.production@bbc.co.uk so I would email there and maybe ask if you could be added to the mailing list?
Good luck if you do submit, I got a gag on the first time I submitted and thought I'd made it; that was 3? years ago and nothing since...

Quote: DDP @ 25th March 2021, 3:46 PM

Yes I was thinking about sending some stuff into The Skewer but when I'm writing for Newsjack it seems to take all my time so I never got round to it.

Thanks for posting the link, I'll definitely have a go at it if they're still accepting submissions.

Yeah I've listened to a couple of episodes and I'm not sure if I'll be very successful trying to find stuff that fits their style but I think it's always worth having a go as there are so few opportunities for new writers to get their material on air.

Certainly worth a try. But to be honest, I understand your feelings. After all, I constantly have problems with writing such complex content. This is quite difficult to implement in practice without certain knowledge and skills. That's why I usually use the services of https://www.nursingpaper.com/ an online platform powered by professional writers and editors. This allows me not to worry about the result.

Thanks for the info. I wrote to btn.production@bbc.co.uk asking to be added to their mailing list, but didn't get a reply. It is probably because I am shit.

They HAVE got in touch with the brief. I'll give it a go, but ain't getting my hopes up.

The credits are out and I'm amazed I'm not in them... But remember: Each rejection is just one step closer. To the next rejection.

I found informative resource: essay example onhttps://www.nursingpaper.com/examples/extraneous-variables-and-its-impact-on-research-essay/ It examines strategies for identifying, controlling, and minimizing the effects of extraneous variables in scientific studies. Whether you're designing experiments or analyzing research findings, this essay offers valuable insights into maintaining research validity.

You've written better Apathe

I agree, his 'fission in a home setting' was sublime

Quote: Apathe @ 20th March 2024, 1:31 PM

I found informative resource: essay example onhttps://www.nursingpaper.com/examples/extraneous-variables-and-its-impact-on-research-essay/ It examines strategies for identifying, controlling, and minimizing the effects of extraneous variables in scientific studies. Whether you're designing experiments or analyzing research findings, this essay offers valuable insights into maintaining research validity.

At least they didn't mention Michael Matheson's iPad.

Quote: Exe Chris @ 10th April 2021, 7:40 PM

They send out a couple of briefs each week for Breaking the News and ask that submissions are sent to btn.production@bbc.co.uk so I would email there and maybe ask if you could be added to the mailing list?
Good luck if you do submit, I got a gag on the first time I submitted and thought I'd made it; that was 3? years ago and nothing since...

You didn't even bother trying to write to them anymore.