Croft with Perry, or Croft with Lloyd? Page 2

Perry and Croft every time. Loved Are You Being Served as a kid. Now find it quite unbearable.

'Allo 'Allo! is among my top 5 britcoms, and Are You Being Served? is nice as well. So, not really a contest, as none of Croft/Perry creations could manage to top these two.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 23 2008, 1:12 PM BST

Loved Are You Being Served as a kid. Now find it quite unbearable.

Except for one character, I take? ;)

Croft/Perry 3 - Dad's Army/It Ain't Half Hot Mum/Hi-De-Hi!
Croft/Lloyd 1 - 'Allo 'Allo!

Welcome to the site, Ian. I'm guessing you prefer the Perry combo! :)

Thanks, Aaron. You'd be guessing right! :)

Quote: Jack Massey @ 24th June 2008, 8:20 PM

You've heard the old one "do you prefer chips with fish or chips with steak", well here's another; do you prefer David Croft with Jimmy Perry or David Croft with Jeremy Lloyd?

Sitcoms Croft wrote with Perry:
Dad's Army
It Ain't Half Hot Mum
Hi-De-Hi!
You Rang M'Lord?

Sitcoms Croft wrote with Lloyd:
Are You Being Served?
Come Back Mrs Noah
Oh Happy Band
'Allo 'Allo!
Grace & Favour
Which Way to the War
Here Comes the Queen (comes out this year)

For me it is very easy to answer. Out of all the sitcoms Croft has written, for me his four best ones were all with Jimmy Perry. So do you prefer Croft with Perry or Croft with Lloyd?

A handy little list this. Would it be possible to have writers' lists of sitcoms somewhere on this website, maybe in pro if not in the normal listings? (As they both did a few on their own or with others.) The former for me too, Lloyd camped it up too much for my taste although both AYBS and AA were very strong sitcoms.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th September 2008, 2:44 AM

Welcome to the site, Ian. I'm guessing you prefer the Perry como! :)

Perry Como?

Actually of the Perry ones the only one I really enjoyed was Dad's Army, whilst I liked Are You Being Served? and 'Allo 'Allo! for Lloyd.

The rest I felt were all pretty ropey.

For me it's very close but Croft/Perry just edges it for me.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd April 2021, 6:27 PM

A handy little list this. Would it be possible to have writers' lists of sitcoms somewhere on this website, maybe in pro if not in the normal listings? (As they both did a few on their own or with others.)

You can find credits on People pages.

David: https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/david_croft/

Jeremy: https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/jeremy_lloyd/

Jimmy: https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/jimmy_perry/

All are linked through to from sitcom guides - look for the credits sections.

Ah yes that is excellent. When I read your post properly the second time, I used the Credits then Writer listing. I shall now have some fun looking up others. Such a useful research function I didn't even know you had. No criticism, but are you promoting these services enough?

Anyway I see Lloyd had two one series (sitcom) wonders I'd not heard of before he met Croft: Vacant Lot and Mum's Boys. Eh? And he foisted Dickie Henderson on us (well not me, my ancestors).

I first knew of Jeremy Lloyd when he was in the musical Robert and Elizabeth about Browning and Barrett.