Status report Page 6,096

Bough myself a new smartphone: a Motorola G9. Unlocked.

Taken me 2 days to try & sort out how to shift the phone numbers from my old fullsize SIMS in my old phone to new sims which can be subdivided into the teeny weenie Nano Sims.

'Twas tricky 'cos I found I could not login to my old O2 accounts to do the change, (some long time ago O2 made a real bargain pricing system for me which just slowly eats into a pre-paid credit & so I had not done a top up for well over a year, possibly 2 years), Then without any notification whatsoever from O2, yesterday (Thursday I found it no longer recognised my P/W or the phone numbers) and the O2 'agent' lady' didn't know how to sort it either.

Eventually I just tried recreating the accounts and linked them to my mobile numbers & hey presto that worked. I've switched my secondary phone number to a nano SIM and the main phone number change is in progress now. Hopefully it'll be al done by termorra morn.

So hopefully I get to keep my cheap, 'Classic PayAsYouGo' payment scheme. {O2 realised that it was a lousy scheme for O2, they won't make any money on that scheme, so it is no longer available to 'new' customers).

Quote: billwill @ 27th March 2021, 2:33 AM

So hopefully I get to keep my cheap, 'Classic PayAsYouGo' payment scheme. {O2 realised that it was a lousy scheme for O2, they won't make any money on that scheme, so it is no longer available to 'new' customers).

I cannot see paying a monthly fee for what is basically a telephone, and then walk around with it slapped on the side of your face talking garbage to someone else who has one slapped to the side of their face and for no apparent reason. Or walking in the street gazing into it, completely oblivious of your surroundings. Or, sitting in a waiting room looking at page and page of text when you could be reading a good book or doing a crossword to exercise your mind, OR telling somebody, quite loudly "Yes, I'm in the waiting room now!" Cretins.

I bought my O2/Tesco Pay as You Go phone well over five years ago for £30 with £10's worth of free calls and have since topped it up with another tenner's worth.

Why pay more.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th March 2021, 9:35 AM

I bought my O2/Tesco Pay as You Go phone well over five years ago for £30 with £10's worth of free calls and have since topped it up with another tenner's worth.

Why pay more.

£10's worth of free calls?

Chilling at home, I forgot I even had this account hahahaha

My comedy aspirations have kind of faded away, but I still would not mind having a television sitcom at some point.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th March 2021, 10:06 AM

£10's worth of free calls?

Yes................or for pedants - calls worth up to £10, you don't have to pay for. They are free up to the first £10's worth used. You don't have to pay for the first £10's worth of calls you make. If you make £10's worth of calls we won't charge you. Free calls up to £10. Unimpressed

Sound like pre-paid calls, not free ones. Just the sort of mis-direction that big companies like to do.

:( Whatever. The point was I paid £30 for the phone and then didn't have to pay £10 for phone calls up to that amount. Or if you like, and to stop any confusion Whistling nnocently. Prepaid, free, gratis, free of charge, for nothing, complimentary, gratuitous, at no cost, for free, on the house - I didn't think it would cause such feedback.

It's all your fault Mr Dave Purist Chapman Rolling eyes

I hope y'all remembered to move your clocks forward one hour this morning (if you live in UK).

They never seem to bother to mention the change on the TV news anymore, I suppose a lot of youngsters have never known a time when their clocks (on TV status screens, computers, tablets & smart phones etc) didn't do the deed for them automagically.

Now I have to remember where on earth I put the instructions on how to change the time on my oldish digital watch. It's far too complicated to remember. how to do it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2021, 12:03 AM

:( Whatever. The point was I paid £30 for the phone and then didn't have to pay £10 for phone calls up to that amount. Or if you like, and to stop any confusion Whistling nnocently. Prepaid, free, gratis, free of charge, for nothing, complimentary, gratuitous, at no cost, for free, on the house - I didn't think it would cause such feedback.

It's all your fault Mr Dave Purist Chapman Rolling eyes

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

I've just made a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority about the "Go Left" campaign.

Some believe it's the only way.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th March 2021, 8:40 PM

I've just made a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority about the "Go Left" campaign.

Miserable git. :P

Tuesday I was somewhat amazed to look out of a rear window to see a fox wandering around my garden. It didn't look very happy and I think it was limping. I took some video of it through the window.

On Wednesday evening (after returning from my 2nd Vaccination) I was amazed again to see it lying on my lawn but on further investigation realised the poor thing was dead. Looked up what to do on the Barnet Council website & discovered I should put it in a plastic bag in my black wheelie bin and then fill in a "Collect Dead Animal" form. The charge is £60.91 Curses, it wasn't my fault that it went & died in my garden... :(

Anyway the website programing is crap, It hung in a 'saving' loop & then maybe, just maybe, it said it submitted the form, but I got an email saying I had to click a link & then login to finish sending the form. After that I went round & round in circles on the website because I had bypassed registering an account so I had no password with which to log in to complete the form. I had already paid the fee by credit card so I'm mighty annoyed.

So I still don't know it the form submitted & with today being Good Friday I don't foresee the carcass being removed until after Easter by which time, I reckon it will be getting a bit whiffy!!!

Quote: billwill @ 2nd April 2021, 2:13 AM

Looked up what to do on the Barnet Council website & discovered I should put it in a plastic bag in my black wheelie bin and then fill in a "Collect Dead Animal" form. The charge is £60.91

The equivalent of $80 just to haul away a small, dead animal? Couldn't you have just put it in a bag with the rest of your trash? That's what I would have done. :)

Looks like pickup is free in my city: https://www.sanantonio.gov/swmd/Special-Collections/Dead-Animal-Pickup

I've never heard of anyone actually using the service, with the notable exception of dead deer. I see at least 3 or 4 dead ones every week within a mile of my house.

I noticed that some of the London Boroughs do such a collection free, but Barnet does not.

On the other hand Barnet Council Tax rates are lower than most other Boroughs, It is a bit daft though. They make a charge of £70 for collection of Garden waste which is done fortnightly, so thats 26 (theoretical) Garden waste collections, that's £2.69 each. So the animal collection is 22 times more expensive or to use typical Media worst-case wording, that's 2200% worse.

Not that I opt-in to the garden waste collection anyway, I would only have enough to collect about 6 or 7 times a year so each collection there would cost around £10. I can take grass & brambles & leaves to the 're-cycle' centre myself much more cheaply, its only about a mile away.