I Care A Lot (2020)

And now for something a little more recent...

Very dark, very funny comedy starring Rosamund Pike.
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) is a fantastic villain.
But then pretty well everyone is a villain in this film.
In that sense it has a bit of a Cohen Brothers feel, but that's no bad thing in my book.
Currently available to rent on Amazon (free for Prime members)
Recommended.

What's it about?

Avoiding spoilers...
A woman (Pike) who cynically manipulates State Guardianship laws to defraud old people by, essentially, getting them committed to care homes.
And then it all kicks off.

Based i believe in fact. This actually happens...

Quote: playfull @ 30th March 2021, 11:56 AM

Based i believe in fact. This actually happens...

Yes, I think it does.
The rest of the film probably didn't though!

I've just watched it and, for the first hour or do, I was glued to the screen. I'd never seen better in my life. Then it changed and the second hour was just plain silly. Plot holes, characters saying and doing things they'd never say or do or be able to do and every other mistake a bad writer makes.
I can hardly believe the two halves were written by the same person.
The first half IS brilliant though. :)

Fair do's.
I didn't mind that aspect - a bit like Burn after Reading where the choices become increasingly odd - but mainly driven by desperation (and usually greed).
That's what put me in the mind of the Cohen Brothers (though they are undoubtedly better at it).

Hello Lazzard, you describe it as a dark comedy but are you sure it's intended to be funny? If you're right, it can be forgiven its sins but I didn't see anything I thought was intentionally funny.
The first half was gripping disturbing drama while the second looked like a bad 'Jane Bond' film.
The review in The Guardian says it's a toxic thriller and I think that's exactly the writer's intent.
You might be right of course. It wouldn't be the first time I (or The Guardian) have been wrong. ????

Rotten Tom's and Wiki reckon it's a dark comedy.
It is very black and deals with dark subjects, I grant you - but I would definitely class it as a black comedy.
The goofy taxi driver is the first clue, I think.
The oxygen tank knocking the henchman out...?