Brit Trek

Brit Trek is an ongoing series of sketches from my website The Daily Distress.

The basic idea was a simple one. Having left the Federation in a fit of pique, the British Space Force would boldy go where no sane person had been before and attempt to conquer space. The Spivship Enterprise, under the supposed command of the interpid Captain Berk, would spaff its way around the galaxy looking for people to trade with.

At some point it dropped into a sub-series when Ensign Schapps' somewhat dubious powers of navigation led to the ship crashing on a mysterious island and the crew found themselves on the Lost island. That particular "Lost in Space" sub-plot is probably nearing its climax though I freely admit, that just like the creators of Lost, I have a tendency to raise more questions than I answer in each instalment. So it maybe a while before our hapless heroes are back in space, searching for Princess Nutella of the Crabs Nebula.

Given that nobody reads my website due to my heinous SEO talents and my third-rate graphic design skills (and the very real possibility that it's no good, before anyone imagines that I haven't thought of that). I would love to hear any comments on Brit Trek. Not least on whether what basically amount to extended sketch scripts are ever really going to work on the internet in written form. I would love to do a podcast version but my somewhat worldy-weary, Brummie drawl is no more suited for the voice of Commander Gove than it is for that of the lovely Admiral Patel.

The first episode Brit Trek was okay as a scene-setter but I have no great love for it.

The follow up The Search for Cummings' Brain takes us into a skit on Apocalype Now with Dominic Cummings as Colonel Kurtz.

The non-episodic Christmas Special asks the age-old question of what would happen if we were to ask our glorious leaders to organise a pee-up in a brewery.

Lost in Space was the start of the Star Trek/Lost mash-up. Let's be honest, whilst everybody and his dog has seen Star Trek, that might not be the case with Lost (rightly popular as it is). I would love to know how much sense this makes to anyone who doesn't watch Lost.

The fun continues Lost and Loster - I know it's wrong to like your own stuff but I'm quite fond of this one.

And most recently, there is Fedexit which goes in for a few Lost-style flash-backs to explain how the whole mess started.

All suggestions for improvement would be very much appreciated and I'd love to near any thoughts on which characters work and which ones don't. I'm very new to the whole business of writing so I'm fully aware that it's not without its flaws.

My sincere thanks to anyone who takes the time to read any of it.