Harry & Paul

Well, I went to another TV recording last night; this time The Harry Enfield Programme (or possibly Show, but signs said Programme). I have to admit that I've not really seen much of his previous shows so am not entirely sure how it compares, but it wasn't too bad at all. Some very funny stuff, and some which was a bit '...'. Typical that some of the funniest stuff was the unrecorded asides and comments to the audience (who he likes to shout "WANKER!" at him when he messes up). Overall a bit hit and miss for me, but it wasn't awful so I'm looking forward to seeing the fully polished series when it hits the BBC next month.

Other people in the show:
Morwenna Banks
Paul Whitehouse
Sophie "Big Suze" Winkleman

(Have to say though, Paul really steals the show.)

Hands Ashley!

That is because Paul Whitehouse is a comedy God. I don't think i've seen him do anything bad, and if he does it's usually mediocre.

Glad you liked it though.

I was only about 10 I think when he was quite popular with his sketch shows and I used to like him. But when I was about 16, I used to think he was cheesy and The Fast Show was "cool". But now I think some of Harry's stuff is really good, now that I have a better understanding of creating comedy. Although I haven't seen or heard of anything post 1996. So I don't know how he is now?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o6imcySitwE

^Clip from the new Enflied show, Whitehouse is pure class in it, as hotzappa say, Whitehouse has never made a bad programme.

Got to see he's coming back. I hope it works as well as before. It really was the start of a resurgence of sketch shows with running characters. Paul Whitehouse of course came out (not in that way) of the earlier series and I love Morwenna. Shame there's no (what's her name - gimme gimme gimme).

Kathy Burke

The new series is to be called Ruddy Hell! It's Harry and Paul, and will run weekly from Friday 13th April (*spooky music*) at 8:30pm on BBC One. :)

Huzzah!

Quote: Aaron @ March 30, 2007, 7:22 PM

The new series is to be called Ruddy Hell! It's Harry and Paul

Oh, they're re-titled it. Glad they have - Whitehouse deserves as much credit as Enfield (if not more).

Watching Harry Enfield and Chums on GOLD. Quality writing and acting. Stands up very well considering the age of it. :D It was the one where Kevin the Teenager loses his virginity and changes overnight. Blimey it was made in 1996, 15 years ago!

I haven't seen much Harry Enfield stuff since it was originally on. Have fond memories though. Hopefully, it'll get a DVD release one day.

I'm watching a documentary about Alison Steadman. It showed a Frost Report sketch from the early 1960s with her and Julia McKenzie as 2 randy spinsters which must've been the inspiration for the "Young Man" sketches of Harry and Kathy Burke as 2 spinsters.

I always thought he was a bit of a wimp. And 'Only me' is up there with Blackadder and History Today as Most Mind-numbingly Repeated Comedy Line In the History of History.

Quote: Will Cam @ 27th May 2011, 8:17 PM

Watching Harry Enfield and Chums on GOLD. Quality writing and acting. Stands up very well considering the age of it. :D It was the one where Kevin the Teenager loses his virginity and changes overnight. Blimey it was made in 1996, 15 years ago!

I watched my spice girls DVD. Still stands up.
Harry Enfield was also in one of the few decent 'Filthy Rich and Catflap' eps.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd March 2021, 10:20 AM

I always thought he was a bit of a wimp. And 'Only me' is up there with Blackadder and History Today as Most Mind-numbingly Repeated Comedy Line In the History of History.

And this from someone whose stock, oft repeated line is, "is shit" :P

It's actually 'Total and utter f**king shit.'
I'd rate Whitehouse over Enfield as a comedy performer. But that's only me. That's me, that is.